Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
motor anymore? Oh how I hated that on my 06 when changing the oil. I eventually removed it permanently.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
You mean the plastic cover? The X don't have it.. the XT does. Subaru seems to have removed them from all base models for some reason (probably $$).

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
I did an (extensive) test drive back in March of a '10 X-Premium (US model), and it had the undertray that spanned the entire distance from left to right. I know, because as part of the test drive, I took the Foz to my home, and put it up on my ramps to check access to the oil filter, etc.

I later bought a '10 X-Premium that was not the one I test drove, in April. It has two "mini" undertrays. One on the left side, one on the right. A section in the middle about 24" wide has nothing underneath it.

Weird ... as both were basically the same configuration (X-Premiums, 5 speed manual transmissions, 2010's, etc.)

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
I understood the XT has the undertray to help with the air intake for the intercooler, creating negative (or is it positive?) pressure.

But as the X's do not have an intercooler, they do not "need" the undertray but they do have the side shields to protect sensors.

Not sure why one X had it and one did not tho.... (einy's post)

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
Same question I had ... in a way, I wish the X that I bought had a full width undertray to provide some level of protection for the underside of the radiator and the lower coolant hose, especially in light of us not having a temperature gauge to "monitor" engine temp in case something were to damage the rad and/or hose.

The other vehicles that we have ('09 Accord and '99 Miata), as well as two in the recent past ('01 Accord and '05 Odyssey) all had full width plastic undertrays. As a "side benefit", their engine bays stayed pretty free of road grime, etc. Can't say the same for the Foz.

Oh well, details, details ... !

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
my 2006 X has the plastic under engine tray. its huge and covers the whole underside of the engine bay.

i just remove the 8 or so screw clips and swing the access cover out of the way when doing oil changes. its really quite convenient for me and its also nice to see embossed labels of what the supposed access cover is for. :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts