Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester Xt
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience and or input with Centric cross drilled and slotted rotors? I am wondering because I picked up three complete sets for under $100 and am wondering if these are any good.

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
I haven't heard about the cross drilled and slotted ones but I've heard nothing but great reviews on the basic premium ones. You're saying you picked up 12 rotors for under $100? Dang, are they new or used?

Like this?

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
I have the centric cross drilled rotors and I like them. No issues yet, but they have only been on for 3k miles. I wish I had your friends...

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The centric blanks are great. Slotted and or cross drilled is completely useless, and will give you worse performance and wear than blanks, so no real point in paying more for that.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Wow hook me up with a set lol

Yeah I've also never really felt the benefits of cross drilled or slotted. Granted, it wasn't another Forester I tried it on but I don't see the point for a DD car. Maybe a tracked car would benefit but I've seen some guys just switch back to blanks to get more smooth braking feedback.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Wow hook me up with a set lol

Yeah I've also never really felt the benefits of cross drilled or slotted. Granted, it wasn't another Forester I tried it on but I don't see the point for a DD car. Maybe a tracked car would benefit but I've seen some guys just switch back to blanks to get more smooth braking feedback.
IF you're doing time attack or heavy circuit racing, then they might have a slight benefit. Otherwise they're just causing worse wear on everything, less smooth braking, and less rotor surface area. Why pay nearly twice as much for something that decreases performance?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Well, if he could really pick up a complete set for $33.33, I wouldn't mind the slots and drills so much (or I'd trade it for blanks). I just want to avoid sanding and painting my rotor hats right now :lol: they are rusted like old russian submarines right now!

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Disagree. Had bad luck w/ cross drilled rotors for track use and wouldn't recommend it.

All the easier to crack a cross drilled rotor. Haven't had as many issues w/ slotted though.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
I realize that there are not any performance benefits for cross drilled rotors. I went with cross drilled rotors for looks. I don't track my car, and I don't think I will have issues with the cross drilled rotors cracking. The original poster did not ask for opinions on cross drilled vs. slotted vs. blanks, but was rather just looking for information regarding centric rotors.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I realize that there are not any performance benefits for cross drilled rotors. I went with cross drilled rotors for looks. I don't track my car, and I don't think I will have issues with the cross drilled rotors cracking. The original poster did not ask for opinions on cross drilled vs. slotted vs. blanks, but was rather just looking for information regarding centric rotors.
Well in that regard, centric is probably one of the better brands of rotor. iirc they're made by stoptech (or the same people who make the rotors for stoptech?). So far my centric premiums are holding up better than autozone blanks, RacingBrake slotted, and oem.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Xt
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got them in a parts bin buy out. Store closing..
I have put near 20k on them so far. No problems. I can hear them when i brake though. No cracking or grooves from mud or rock. I have inspected them every 5k or so and it looks like i could get another 15k on them. I definitely like them more than the stock units. I got one good panic stop from 90mph and the stockers were done.
Go Centric..

·
Registered
2004 Forester Xt
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was worried about the price= low quality.
I haven't bothered looking how much they are new.
They looked so good in the box, of boxes

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I was worried about the price= low quality.
I haven't bothered looking how much they are new.
They looked so good in the box, of boxes
Their ecoated premium blanks are cheaper than the inferior brembo blanks (~ $37 each for fronts). Not sure on the other styles, didn't know they made crossdrilled/slotted ones. I picked them up initially because they were the -only- ones making higher end coated rotors that weren't slotted, which I had been looking for, for a while (was not very happy with the RB slotted I had on previously)

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
I've also heard good things about Centric. If you are wondering how good a cross drilled rotor is, you can tell by looking at where the drilled holes are. A good company will find precise locations to drill the hole for strength. That's usually through a thick vane instead of a random cool looking spot.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5 X Prem 5MT
465 Posts
Does anyone know if "Cryo-Stop" is also the same company as Centric, StopTech, etc.? Looking at them on TireRack and they look identical to the Centric Premiums. Only Difference seems to be they are cryo-treated.

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
I have standard Centric rotors and I'm happy with them - slotted/drilled rotors may look cool, but they add nothing but aesthetic value to most applications.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts