Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Liberty wagon
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realy good advice and photos.
Hope you Can help get something clear in my head?
I recently bought a 98 Liberty wagon with 177000km for my daughters first car knowing the clutch was slipping and RH Rear wheel bearing required replacing. After replacing both all was good for some time then without warning there was a bit of a bang and it appears the center diff has gone? Im pretty sure its not the clutch but could anything else cause similar symptoms? I drove home with some slipage and some funny noise. I can park with brakes on and get total slipage but no clutch smell. I thought a diff would have to turn one other diff either front or rear? Seems to slip more at low speed.
Could I have broken one Drive shaft or diff when doing the rear bearing? If you jack up one wheel would one get same symptom? Others talk of driving around for some time but I was lucky to get home.
Hope you guys can help Regards Mike

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,966 Posts
Bump to get a new member's problem up to the top!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I would say check the axle shafts and make sure they are all seated at the diff/trans and that none are trashed.

Place to start.

·
Registered
98 Liberty wagon
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flstffxe. On the money. It was indead a brocken RH rear axel shaft. Installed one from wrecker $110. all good.
What I dont understand is how/why it broke, as the vehicle was not under huge load at the time. I had recently replaced that wheel bearing and as there was only about 0.5cm (outboard of the machined groove) broken off I think that the spline must have been almost out of the CV joint. What stops it coming out anyhow,I did a postemortem an could find no circlip? Pretty amaising system to get one home with a broken axel and the center diff seems none the worst.
Ps the Subaru mechanic said it would be the center diff and would cost about $1200. so Im happy with the outcome but would feel more comfortable if I knew why it broke. Regards to all Mike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts