Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me remove the center dash piece that surrounds the stereo and temperature units on a '99 Forester? I found the screws, but I can't seem to find what it's snagged on.

stereonobezel1.jpg
I borrowed the photo from a thread over at ScoobyMods. Ignore the red arrow on the bottom.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It comes out. I have to get this part replaced, as the mounting screw holes for the stereo were torn out. I'm starting to think that the dash pieces around it will have to come out before I can get this piece to budge.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Remove the radio and HVAC controls first - there are additional screws down there that hold the trim.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, found those. I also found two screws that hold it at the back corners. When I went to pull on it, I found that there's a lip that goes behind the glove box and the trim under the steering wheel. It looks like the only way to get to it is to remove the bottom half of the dash.

Does anyone know a possibly easier solution?

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it out! If you decide you need to replace this piece, the trim panels under the steering wheel and inside the glove box need to be either loosened or removed before you can wiggle this one out.

There is a lip on either side of this piece that screws in behind both of those molds. Two screws into the glove box and one into the steering wheel on the bottom, way in the back. The whole process takes a good half hour of tinkering around.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts