Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester Auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other night that in my 02 Forester, when I have the headlights turned on, the center brake light is constantly lit whether braking or not.
The other two brake lights function normally.
If headlights are off, the center brake light is off and all 3 light up when I brake.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
6 Posts
I’d say that’s pretty normal from what I’m familiar with. I’m curious if it’s because the fog lights are switched on, and that serves as a rear fog light. That’s how my old Volvo was set up. If that’s the case just switch the fog lights off and then turn the headlights back on and see if the third brake light is still illuminated.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,462 Posts
@murpheeee take a look at the wiring diagram below. As you can see, the high, center mounted brake light is tied... fed from the right (RH) rear stop light. If the center brake light is lit, so would the right (RH) rear stop light. There's no connection to the headlights.

The other possibility is a fault in the trailer connector, but if that was the case, the right (RH) rear stop light would also be lit. Any chance it is lit & it's just not noticeable with the clearance/running lights being lit? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,462 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester Auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I finally got around to working on this...

There is a wire harness attached to a collection of 5 or 6 wires which come from behind the driver side brake light.
Each of the wires is connected via a sleeved connector to a corresponding wire, these go into a round outlet with spring closed cover
Is this some sort or trailer connection? It does not look like a standard one
Also, I thought the trailer harness connector was on the passenger side of the spare tire well

Anyway, one of these sleeved connections was blackened.
I disconnected all of them and removed the outlet - that fixed the 3rd brake light staying on issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts