Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm just lurking here, but I have some input to your question (waiting for my 2019 to arrive). I've used the iotte suction cup type of mount for years in my 06 Acura TL. If its mounted on hard plastic it'll be fine, BUT if it's on a softer part of the dash it WILL deform the surface. Honestly I tried it for a couple of days, took the mount off, saw the marks and mounted it from the windshield. In my case the dash went back to original. I don't know what would happen if you left it on for months or years.
That's maybe the only downside to the upgraded interior on the 2019 Foresters with the addition of all the "soft touch" materials. It makes mounting things to it more problematic. It's sure looks good though!

·
Registered
29 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure why anyone needs the phone to be mounted somewhere, incoming calls and texts come through head unit and outgoing calls go through head unit and can be controlled with steering wheel functions. My phone never leaves my coat pocket in winter or back pocket in summer. Just wondering..
Because the Android Auto still sucks and it's often easier to run Waze and other stuff straight from the phone.

I can't speak to the Apple version.

Also, because you may want the navigation on your head-unit screen and your music player app on your phone or vice-versa.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Because the Android Auto still sucks and it's often easier to run Waze and other stuff straight from the phone.

I can't speak to the Apple version.

Also, because you may want the navigation on your head-unit screen and your music player app on your phone or vice-versa.
I've never used Android Auto. I do like Apple CarPlay, which also requires a physical connection to the Subaru head unit.
Waze will run as an Apple CarPlay app, so the Waze display is on the main dash display. I don't see how you would be able to run Waze on your phone while it's in your pocket.
I can run music and nav, both from my phone, at the same time. I don't stream music from the phone all that often, but I do listen to podcasts while running Google Maps. I prefer Google Maps to the Subaru head unit nav app, as it's integrated with my calendar, and I can turn off the voice prompts completely. When I get in the car to go to an appointment, the appointment comes up on the Google Maps display. All I have to do is touch the appointment location box and the nav starts to route me there.
None of this requires access to the phone screen, but I do occasionally want to see it or use some app on the phone that isn't accessible from the head unit. For example, I wear hearing aids that are controlled through my phone. Sound from the music or podcast app gets routed automatically to the hearing aids. Sometimes I want to use the cabin speakers, instead. I have to make this change from the iPhone screen.
The mount/dock I use also allows me to insert the phone with one hand, and holds it securely. When I was attaching a USB cable and then placing the phone inside the dash cubby, it would occasionally slide out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try refreshing your browser cache. I have tried from various browsers and devices and the image links are definitely broken.
Alright. I hosted my pics a different way and updated the links. I also added them as attachments just in case.

Let me know if it's working now.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I've been obsessing over a phone mounting location and I think I've found the perfect solution for my use case in my 2019.
I really like that solution. Pretty cool that the port also charges the phone while connecting to AA. On my 2016 Tucson, its only to connect to AA, so I ended up having to get another cable running from the 12v to a wireless charging stand (and removing the metal base) so I can just drop the phone on it and have it charge while connecting to AA.

I also like the 90 degree USC-C cable. I plan on getting this 12v car charger that is less obtrusive and use an additional 90 degree cable to connect to the passenger side users phone.

TS out

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
First one. Did the same modification as MFUNSHINE, but routed it a bit different.
I placed the USB-C Cable behind the chrome pieces and then behind the lower side panels.
Then brought up the cable to the side pocket and repeated the procedure on the passenger side for my spouse.
Now I place my car key in that cubby without scratching the middle console and also have my phone charged and connected to android auto.
Thanks MFUNSHINE for the awesome idea.

TS out

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I've been obsessing over a phone mounting location and I think I've found the perfect solution for my use case in my 2019.

Enter the new solution...
This set up keeps my phone(s) out of the way and secure, yet still accessible.

I found both the pocket and the right angled usb-c cord on amazon (both linked below).

The pocket is wedged/attached between the seat and the center console. I applied velcro "loop" tape to the metal accent in the center because I'm paranoid that it could dig into the seat or the console material when the seat is moved. I also applied a strip of velcro "hook" to the face of the pocket that then grips the carpet material that is attached to the seat. It has a divider down the center (under the metal accent) creating 2 perfectly sized phone pockets. I use the second pocket for my work phone (Google Pixel 1st Gen).
Hi there--

Sorry to necro this thread, but it looks like your Amazon link above got mangled at some point. I'm looking to pick up the same side console/seatfiller style cubby, and was wondering if you can point me to the one(s) you bought?

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First one. Did the same modification as MFUNSHINE, but routed it a bit different.
I placed the USB-C Cable behind the chrome pieces and then behind the lower side panels.
Then brought up the cable to the side pocket and repeated the procedure on the passenger side for my spouse.
Now I place my car key in that cubby without scratching the middle console and also have my phone charged and connected to android auto.
Thanks MFUNSHINE for the awesome idea.

TS out
How did you get the cable behind the chrome pieces? Do they pop out somehow?

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
About this Discussion
85 Replies
40 Participants
Makalii7
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing