Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks. I've been leaving mine in the cupholder, and that works fine for me. I could consider moving it into the center console if I had a long enough USB cable.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
On @BeeMiceElf's recommendation, I went with the iBolt in my 2019 Touring. The suction cup mount came loose once (I have it stuck onto the inner sidewall of the cubby, but on the opposite side of his configuration), but it was quickly re-applied and stayed in place while driving. I bottomed it out so the lower edge is flush with the center console, which reduces the stress on the mount when inserting the phone. Placement does not interfere with the shifter.

The iBolt has magnets to keep the phone in place. It ships with two thin ferrous sheets with 3M adhesive mounted on the back to provide a magnetic anchor for the mount. I use a thin case on my iPhone X, and I was able to position the ferrous sheet very low on the inside of the case, and not interfere with Qi wireless charging, which is what I use at home.

CarPlay works fine with the iBolt. I've found it's slow to connect, if it connects at all, if I insert the phone in the mount before I start the car. If I power up first and then insert the phone into the mount, it connects to CarPlay right away.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Proclip USA now has the mount for a 2019 Forester available:

Proclipusa.com (Item 855472)...As a new member here, SubFor.org wouldn't let me post the link here.

Unfortunately, it does appear to significantly block the upper information screen. I have tried my current mount that clamps onto vent fins in an almost identical location (right above the windshield wiper control arm) and it was too annoying, so I moved it to the vent on the right side of the navigation screen.

However...the location in Proclip's photo has the phone cradle in the default drill-hole position on the mount. It may be possible to drill holes more too the left which would place the phone more towards the speedometer gauge as to not block the upper info-screen...

...My vent-clamp phone mount is sufficient for now, so I'm waiting for someone else to invest in the Proclip mount and report back on whether or not drilling holes to the left of the default position is possible and better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
At first, I was frustrated when I realized how small the area is to hold the phone beneath the center dash in my '19 Sport, and was initially putting my phone on the shelf on top in front of the multifunction display. But then I had an idea to use a right angle USB connector instead of a standard straight connector since the main problem was the straight-in USB connector caused the overall length of it plus the phone to been too big to fit in the cubby space. With the right-angle phone connector, it saves enough room to fit the phone down there, though with it sitting at a little bit of an angle still (I have a Pixel 3xl with a case). That is working fine for me now for using Android Auto. I'll post some photos if need be.

These are the cables I bought: https://tinyurl.com/y62w48ve I'm using the shortest one in the Forester.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks, I've been having good luck just putting it in the cup holder. I haven't had any situations (yet) where I needed both of the cup holders in use, but with the 6' cable I'd imagine just stuffing it in the center console and be done with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an iPhone XS, I bought a 3.5" or so black lightning to usb cable, when plugged in at a 40 degree angle or so it doesn't move, and I use the head unit to do everything. Never had any issue so far. I purposely got a black cord as I park outside at home and wanted to have it be as hidden as possible at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
should be able to use the same solution as what I have, which is perfect IMO.

Have you had any issues with the iOttie mount you're using leaving a residue or discoloration on the center area where you have it mounted? I I've read some complaints that people have had with that mount damaging the soft touch part that's leather looking. That plastic area you chose there isn't soft touch so I was thinking it might be safe to put it there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry I meant the BesTrix mount you have. I have seen others use a a similar iOttie one. Like here: subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/dash-phone-mounts-374449/index3.html#post4411161

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'll go look now, I haven't removed it since I installed it.

edit: Yes, it's hard as hell to remove and the silicone glue they use on the suction cup leaves behind a greasy mark.

Looks like a replacement panel is around 30 dollars for part number 66241FJ000. I'm keeping my mount long term but when I go to sell the car or get a different mount I'll just replace that trim piece. Definitely good info to know for someone though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I've been obsessing over a phone mounting location and I think I've found the perfect solution for my use case in my 2019.

Some background: I use Android Auto via my Pixel 3 while driving. Once I plug the phone in, I generally don't touch or look at it again until I get to where I'm going. This means that the traditional phone mounting options weren't all that appealing to me as there is no need to have the phone visible, front and center. I also use wireless charging at home, so magnetic mounts weren't really an option either.

This is the solution I had been using since I first got my Forester. I would stick the phone in the cubby and then twist the cord around to plug it in. The stress on the cord recently began causing connection issues when the phone was jostled or moved (like when turning or going around corners).

Enter the new solution...
This set up keeps my phone(s) out of the way and secure, yet still accessible.

I found both the pocket and the right angled usb-c cord on amazon (both linked below).

The pocket is wedged/attached between the seat and the center console. I applied velcro "loop" tape to the metal accent in the center because I'm paranoid that it could dig into the seat or the console material when the seat is moved. I also applied a strip of velcro "hook" to the face of the pocket that then grips the carpet material that is attached to the seat. It has a divider down the center (under the metal accent) creating 2 perfectly sized phone pockets. I use the second pocket for my work phone (Google Pixel 1st Gen).

-Double right angle USB-A to USB-C cord-
I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the perfect cord and this was the winner. The USB A side of the cord is reversible so I was able to angle it left and keep it tucked along the wall of the cubby as it comes out. It then runs between the seat and the console underneath the pocket and then comes up behind the pocket. The right angle of the USB-C connection at the phone keeps it low profile and less likely to get damaged. I'm thinking about drilling a hole through the bottom of the pocket to feed the cord through, but I'm going to start with this set up first to see how it goes. So far this cord has worked flawlessly with Android Auto and my Pixel 3.

This may not work for some of your use cases, but for me, it's perfect so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm just lurking here, but I have some input to your question (waiting for my 2019 to arrive). I've used the iotte suction cup type of mount for years in my 06 Acura TL. If its mounted on hard plastic it'll be fine, BUT if it's on a softer part of the dash it WILL deform the surface. Honestly I tried it for a couple of days, took the mount off, saw the marks and mounted it from the windshield. In my case the dash went back to original. I don't know what would happen if you left it on for months or years.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts
About this Discussion
85 Replies
40 Participants
Makalii7
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing