Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was young, my friend had a 1988 Alltrac Turbo Celica. He sold it about 10 years ago, once finished w/ college. Now I am thinking of sweet cars that would be fun as a second car. This car comes to mind.

Anyone have any thoughts of these cars as a project vehicle? In the day they seemed cool.

-Shred

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
I'm assuming that would be an expensive project car, considering that it's close to 16 years old; parts would probably be a killer on the wallet.

I was fond of that particular body style. I bet finding a decent 88 to 90 Celica with the awd would be a difficult challenge. Maybe one is tucked away in a garage somewhere, driven to church by some nice little old lady.

Michael

·
Registered
453 Posts
They weren't bad for their time, but given the power/weight/price/package proportions, it was disappointing even in its day. It is a relatively fun car to drive but you have to not let it bother you that every other car in its category will outperform it in basically every single area. It has one of the older, thus heavier haldex systems which more than anything takes away from the driving experience.

I know someone who has one in Italy and enjoys it very much for what it is, even though he is the laughingstock of the other boy racers. Up a hill he has a hard time staying behind stock 150hp Gen IV GTI's, and that's not even with any curves thrown in the mix. Still, it did have a good track record for reliability and what keeps him interested is that for not a lot of money or maitenance, his car is lots of fun. Despite its age, he still ends up spending far less for maintenance than many others.

Unless the owner was one of those car care compulsives like my acquaintance that saved every receipt for everything that was done, including tire changes, I wouln't exactly be getting in line to buy a 15 year old performance turbocharged car. If anything it would be a very deep and thirsty money pit devouring funds that otherwise could have been used to purchase a newer, better model.

·
Registered
FXT and Wifes Leggy
481 Posts
I've got a friend who has a 1st gen alltrac. It is awesome and very quick. I'd been thinkin' about another car(especially an alltrac) at some point to get rid of my car payment but if it were an alltrac it would be the second gen all trac. That is by recommendation by my friend who has the first gen. BTW. I guess there is supposed to be a good aftermarket for the second gen and the drivetrain is allegedly bulletproof even though it's AWD! Here is a link to his 88' AllTrac:
http://www.9and3.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=355

And heare is a pic of a second gen. that I'm in love with. (just ignore the strange clothes the people are wearing..

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The second gen is much better looking than the 1st gen.

They seem to hold their value pretty well. They also seem to have a cult following like the FXT.

I like the fact that the car is relatively rare. Many people who see a stock one have no idea it is special.

·
Registered
FXT and Wifes Leggy
481 Posts
sirwilliam said:
Love the second gen...did they ship those to the states or are they imports?
Yes, we got them here. But it seems the second gen. is even more rare.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i had an 88 alltrac. great car as a second car only though. when things break down(and they will) if you are in a hurry for the parts they can be very expensive. somewhat quick from the factory but needs a good power boost(if you're like me anyway.) when i got mine, the shocks were bad and tires werent the greatest. it had no business sticking to the ground like it did but it did and i loved taking turns. not to mention the winter was a breeze for me. also doesnt hurt that it shares the same engine as the mr2 turbo.

2nd gen is my favorite though. that picture that VSB XT posted of the 2nd gen is exactly how i'd make mine look if i had one!

D

·
0 Posts
I remember racing a few when I was younger, very nice rides they were. I think the newer celicas sucked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts