Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 S Sport
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the (dis)pleasure of seeing that damned little CEL light on again.

Hooked up the OBDII reader which worked perfectly last time, and it connected fine, but gave no code at all (just 00). I can't remember the model of the reader as I borrrowed it from a neighbour, but it is quite a good one so I was surprised not to get the code or any indication of a problem.

It did, however, reset the CEL when I asked to to clear the codes anyway.

Has anyone else had this problem or could you provide an explanation?

(oh, and 250km later the CEL is now back on again so I guess I get a second try at it, but neighbour and reader are 200km away so it might be a while ;)

Thx :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go to an Autozone and ask them to read the code. Forget any advice, as they usually just want you to buy a part, perhaps remotely related to your probem. Post your code for help.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2002 S Sport
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Texasforester,

thanks, although I don't think there are any Autozones in Canada.. at least not that I know of.

perhaps I'll post in the Canadian forum and see if anyone knows of an equivalent company in the Toronto area that will read the code for free (most want to be well paid for such a simple task!)

the other option I am considering is hooking up an old laptop to one of the new ELM327 based readers.... cheap and chearful but ought to cover everything

:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Be careful when purchasing an OBD2 scanner. Many will not read a Subaru and acknowledge problems. I don't know about the elmscan software. I know it was one of the ones I looked into and passed on, but that's been almost 2 yrs ago.

I purchased OBDScan from Harrison Eng. in Houston, and although there were some initial problems reading my 99 Forester, he was able to update the firmware and fix the bug. It's been working fine now for over a year on 99 Subaru, 97 Acura TL, 97 Acura CL, 00 Dodge Ram, and 01 Toyota Celica. I use an old IBM Thinkpad as the PC.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts