Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Touring
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I tried doing the forum search before I asked and didn't find anything, so I'm going to throw this out there... I'm curious if anyone has had any issues with CEL and/or the P0456 code after doing LED upgrades. I have a 2017 Touring and got the OLM sequential tails from Subispeed back in September 2018. Around that time I started getting CELs at least every week. Every time I cleared it with my OBD reader it was always for P0456. Fast forward a few months and I took it to the dealer where they figured out the emissions system was good, but Subaru tech support told them to troubleshoot the lights. Dealer swapped my OEMs back on, ran some more tests, and no more CEL. The dealer said that the difference in power draw can also cause the CEL issue (which makes sense to me). Has anyone heard of this, or ran into a similar problem? Just curious about a possible workaround on this as I really love the aftermarket tails and plan on doing some additional LED lighting upgrades in the future.

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
I have read several similar cases with LED swaps. Sadly, I have never heard of a workaround other than going back to your crappy old OEM bulbs. :( Perhaps one has eluded me. Only luck I have ever had was turn signal and foglights. Never threw codes on me. GL.

EDIT: I do recall having to install an under-dash resistor for the led turn signal bulbs. It was to control rapid flashing. Maybe somehow related? Who knows....

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Hey y'all, I tried doing the forum search before I asked and didn't find anything, so I'm going to throw this out there... I'm curious if anyone has had any issues with CEL and/or the P0456 code after doing LED upgrades. I have a 2017 Touring and got the OLM sequential tails from Subispeed back in September 2018. Around that time I started getting CELs at least every week. Every time I cleared it with my OBD reader it was always for P0456. Fast forward a few months and I took it to the dealer where they figured out the emissions system was good, but Subaru tech support told them to troubleshoot the lights. Dealer swapped my OEMs back on, ran some more tests, and no more CEL. The dealer said that the difference in power draw can also cause the CEL issue (which makes sense to me). Has anyone heard of this, or ran into a similar problem? Just curious about a possible workaround on this as I really love the aftermarket tails and plan on doing some additional LED lighting upgrades in the future.
Guessing you need some sort of resistor, just be careful how it is mounted as it will get warm/hot. People experience a similar issue switching out halogen headlights for leds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's funny because every light was swapped to LED in my Legacy and it never threw a single code over the 5 or 6 years I had them installed. I did pick up a new LED flasher module (looks pretty similar to the one I had in my Leg) so I'm hoping that fixes the issue. With lots of people adopting those aftermarket tails, I'm just wondering why I haven't seen anything about them. Maybe it's a difference with the overall configurations between models, i.e. base Forester versus Limited or Touring? Definitely not a fan of how Subaru NERF'd the car by having any CEL/code issue disable all of the EyeSight and other safety features to begin with.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
Must be because of your particular tail light module, I've swapped all the bulbs to LED and no CE light in three years.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
180 Posts
I've installed the trunk hatch LED mod from subispeed in addition to led DRL/High beam bulbs with no ill effect on a 2018 premium. Perhaps the issue is not current draw but some interference if there is a regulator circuit in the module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've installed the trunk hatch LED mod from subispeed in addition to led DRL/High beam bulbs with no ill effect on a 2018 premium. Perhaps the issue is not current draw but some interference if there is a regulator circuit in the module.
So far just upgraded the fogs to LED, did the trunk hatch LED also, and swapped out my interior lights. I'm going to swap out the flasher module this weekend and see if that fixes anything, as I have more lighting stuff on order currently. :grin2:

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
I recall swapping out the OEM fogs in my old '15 STi for the LED OLMs (full housings) without adding a resistor and everything was pretty kosher. So guessing that is probably not the culprit. I do also recall a while back, someone on my regional NASIOC forum had mentioned swapping interior bulbs for all LED and they had a CEL. When they took it to the dealer to troubleshoot, the dealer said it was some sort of polarity-issue-something-or-other and because the interior bulbs were NOT stock, they would not touch the car. Imagine that, heh. I do not recall the model or year.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
I swapped all the interiors out in my18 with the exception of the ones in the bottom of the doors and have no issues. I haven't done any exterior lights yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts