Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Manual
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

New to the forum and the Subaru world (former Honda guy). I own a completely stock 05 FXT that just hit 90k. About a month or so ago I got a P0301/P0303 code so I did the usual check plugs and ordered coils. Plugs were fine and swapped the coils but nothing happened. I brought the car to a mechanic (I dont have many tools or space to do the work.) and had him check the fuel injectors. He said they were working fine. He then did a compression test and both cylinders were 60-70 range. He then proceed to tell me the engine is bad.

I was thinking it could be something along the lines of bad valves or head gasket. but again this is my first Subaru so I'm not really sure.

any input will help. Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT 4eat
98 Posts
Low cylinder compression on a WRX/STi motor usually means ringland failure. Not sure if it would be the same thing on a stock FXT. I'm completely new to Foresters, but have been in the Subaru game for years.

Not sure why you would be having an issue like that on a stock motor at 90k. 99.9% of the ringland failures I've seen on Subarus were on fairly modded cars.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
It could also be leaking valves. Either way, engine has to come apart.

Stan

·
Registered
2010 XT Automatic
237 Posts
I own a 2010 XT and a 2004 STi.

The 04 STi is pure stock and in the same boat. No codes were thrown but I’ve been burning oil for good while now and it felt like I was down on power. I did a compression test and found that cylinders 1 & 3 are both down 40 PSI when compared to 2 & 4. To be fair I’ve beat this thing like a rented mule on the race track. I’ve always taken care of it just not been easy on it.

At any rate the motor is coming out this Saturday and I will let you know what I find. Not 100% what I find will apply to you but who knows.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6spd
5 Posts
When the problem is on both cylinders of the same bank (1 and 3 in this case), it is sometimes something up with the timing components - maybe something failed and/or the belt skipped some teeth and/or bent valves.

EDIT: Might be worth checking this before your pull the engine. We've seen this at our local shop, and as long as the valves are not bent it can be fixed in the car.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Manual
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks guys i really appreciate it. Ill see if i can have someone check the timing when i have some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts