Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 2.5 NA Suby. A week ago the check engine light came on. I took it to the auto parts store and the code was 02 sensor, upstream..... I got the sensor, put it in, and the light is still on.
I read here: jollygreenmonster.com/ecu.asp.htm that i need to connect the black and green connectors (black to black, green to green). i found the greens, but the two black connectors i found were different. I also found two wires with thin metal spikes crimped onto the ends.
I just want to reset the ECU so the light will go away, and if it comes back on, then i know i have another issue...
I took pics but i dont have more than 15 posts so i cant post links to them. I tried to add attachments but im not sure if it worked...
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Just disconnect the battery, turn on the lights, step on the brake....(any thing to discharge residual power), then reconnect.

Start the vehicle up and let it warm up for 15 minutes with out touching the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,916 Posts
Not sure about the wiring thing to clear the CEL code? Curious, what was the CEL code that you pulled? :confused: Some CEL codes don't clear right away, the fault has to be clear for a fixed amount of starts before the ECM clears the code. I'd go back to the auto parts store & have them read it. Most will also clear the code, especially if you bought the O2 sensor from them. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
The black to black and green to green was early 90's Subaru's BEFORE OBDII.

If you pulled the battery and the CEL is back on, it WAS erased and either the same or a different CEL has appeared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts