Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided I'd tackle my turbo swap today. I swapped in a VF39, and tuned it with my Accessport. After driving it a bit, I did a long pull and found that my boost went quite high then everything cut out and my CEL came on. I checked the code and it was PO244 which is something about wastegate performance, which would explain why I boosted too high. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix it??

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the exact code is

PO244
Turbocharger solenoid 'A'
Range/Performance

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Read the notes for the Cobb map. It walks you through how the boost is controlled and what all may need to be done.

If it still doesn't make since, or their recommendation doesn't work, than inquire again here.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read that, but unfortunately I am still new to the whole turbo thing. So I am really unsure on what I need to do. I really appreciate any help that can be given!!

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Hey, really sorry, just read through them. Apparently they eliminated the info about the boost control strategy and how to alleviate the issue you have.

Read trhough this here.

CobbTuning.com - Service Bulletin: 07 WRX/STi Overboosting with Catless Exhaust

In short, you'll want to change the hole drilled out in the restrictor pill. I had to order a few drill bits from Fastenal, I believe I have a #54 through 57.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, I wonder if by chance I replaced the one on the VF with the one off of my old TD04 if that would help?!?!

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
I don't recall if the VF one is bigger from the get go.

And if you're really stuck to just get it running so you can get to and from work or whatever for the week, just yank the hose, push the pill out, and put it back together. You won't hit the target boost, but you won't overboost and throw a CEL either.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just for the hell of it, I changed out the vacuum hoses and restrictor pills from the stock turbo to the VF, and it helped, but it still over boosts. But I think that may be the issue though. But not completely sure.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Hey, really sorry, just read through them. Apparently they eliminated the info about the boost control strategy and how to alleviate the issue you have.

Read trhough this here.

CobbTuning.com - Service Bulletin: 07 WRX/STi Overboosting with Catless Exhaust

In short, you'll want to change the hole drilled out in the restrictor pill. I had to order a few drill bits from Fastenal, I believe I have a #54 through 57.
stop futzing around and listen to this advice b4 you overboost your engine away....

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I am taking it easy on it!!! The only time I got on it was to test it out. I definitely don't want to hurt it!!!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So did you use a specific one for this application? Or did you have to try them all. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Start w/ the smallest, work your way up until the hole is big enough to alleviate your problem.

Flip side is if you protune later and try to run more boost, it'll limit how much you can run.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So a friend told me to try an 04 STi vacuum hose and restrictor pill, so I did that today, and had no luck. So I tried drilling it out. So far it helped a little, but on long pulls in 5th, it still creeps up over 20 psi, too much!! So I gotta work at it some more and see if I can get it worked out.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
i am having the same issue. kinda scary to know my boost is set at 23.5 and I am overboosting. good thing i have a daily driver. ill let ya know how mine was fixed when it is

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I should only7 be at 17-18, so over 20 is not good!! Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 6 Spd
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I called Cobb again today, and they tried to tell me it's because I have a catless exhaust system. They said the way they would fix it is to put the stock TD04 vacuum line and restrictor pill in, but I have already tried that. The other thing they said is to try to drill out the pill, which I have tried as well, and it helped, but now I am losing performance, it doesn't pull as hard at lower revs, and it will hold strong at 12ish up until 5k and then start to creep up over 20.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
It doesn't pull as well because you're not getting crazy creep to make it overboost at lower RPM.

How big did you drill out the pill?

Try taking the pill out entirely and see if the boost is controlled. If not, than you need to port the wastegate on the turbo which unfortunately requires pulling the turbo.

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
I got tuned yesterday and in the process before they got it perfect it threw the same code in 5th gear at WOT when I hammered it at 60mph. It was a very quick tuning fix, but since you have the OTS map you'll need to follow the mechanical fixes. Apparently this is common.

Good luck!

So I decided I'd tackle my turbo swap today. I swapped in a VF39, and tuned it with my Accessport. After driving it a bit, I did a long pull and found that my boost went quite high then everything cut out and my CEL came on. I checked the code and it was PO244 which is something about wastegate performance, which would explain why I boosted too high. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix it??

1 - 20 of 40 Posts