Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5XT Limited Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a 2010 Forester 2.5XT Limited w/ 146k miles on it. Looks like I made a terrible mistake but I need second opinions and advice.

Bought the car and shortly after it threw a P0021 code. I thought oh great, a camshaft issue not exactly what I was hoping for. So I immediately took it to the dealer to have the oil changed and for them to look at the issue. It was my understanding that this code could be due to old oil or the VVT valve being stuck. The dealership took the oil filter off and stated that they found metal shavings. I have no way of knowing if this is is actual metal shaving or metal particulate. Since they also told me that they heard some knocking in the engine, and ticking in the timing belt area that the engine needs to be replaced. I don't have the kind of money to just pay for such a repair as it would pretty much double my investment in the car. What I need help with is this: How can I either further troubleshoot the code on my own or verify that yes the engine needs to be replaced for sure.

Before I buy a used engine and spend a ton of time swapping them, I want to know for sure that needs to happen. Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 2.5XT Limited Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once dealership changed oil, code went away. Separate issue from my engine needing to be replaced, made new post about that issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
metal particles inside a oil filter are fairly common, ticking noises are also common, how does it run after the oil change?did the dealer use subaru filter and 0w20 oil or 5w30? knocking ? banging? over heating? ....................if dealership is honest[ not all are so] then you may indeed have bearing wear. or cam wear. or metal may have come form oil filter i suggest you get a 2nd opinion from a different repair shop, part of the forum is a listing and discussion of repair shops, good ,bad, where they are etc, then decide what to do, you can get used engines often for a few hundred and then labor to install if your engine has bearing wear. in the meanwhile use a 5w30 or 5w40 oil and a full flow filter such as wix xp fram ultra or napa platinum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts