Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just had my check engine light come on today, just before I'm planning on taking a 5 hour trip tomorrow. So, I went to O'Reilley's to try and have the code read, but they said nothing was stored. Anything to try to diagnose? Or just make sure the gas cap is tight and reset it?

I was just planning on going home and changing the oil before the trip since it's been a rough winter and almost 3k on the Supertech synthetic.

Just wanted a heads up, I really have no problems with drivability or any other symptoms, so I wasn't going to worry about it. Just figured somebody else may have some ideas.

Also have what I think is piston slap when started cold, goes away once warmed up. I'm not ruling out the tensioner though, as it only goes away once the engine is warm to the touch (not immediately once the temp gauge is at operating temp). But once warm, no sounds whatsoever. I have all the parts, just didn't want to replace the stuff til it was warm out.

Sorry for being all over the place in this post...

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, just went to a different place and had the code read...P0420. At least it's not a big deal for now. I know I have a small exhaust leak too, so I'm going to take a look around today while chaning the oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts