Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a CEL this morning, tuner says its an air pump that is meant to warm up the cats. Since I have no cats, he says this isn't an issue. (I'm summarizing because I forgot half of what he said since 9 am haha)

Fine by me, but I'd still like to get it fixed. Husband says these are expensive. Ideas on how much it would cost? (warranty was up like 2k miles ago).

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Depends which part it actually is, if its the pump or valve system etc. Search "secondary air injection". Its a STUPID system that tends to break and is expensive, I think someone was working on a delete kit for it (and since you're tuned you could just remove codes).

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm at 39k miles, wondering if this repair would fall under the extended drivetrain warranty since I'm over my normal.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
Isn't the air pump part of the emission system that is covered by a much longer warranty?

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
No cats, no emisions warranty. I could assume its lighting the MIL (not cel) BC there are no cats and its seeing low o2 downstream. How do you get a Inspection Sticker?

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No inspections here. Literally 90% of the Subs here have no cats.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll ask him this week. He can probably just turn it off for good. Might just have him do that.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'll ask him this week. He can probably just turn it off for good. Might just have him do that.
You might have to remove the equipment as well though. I feel like the valves may still try to open or something and you would have to blank them off.

The system as a whole is pretty unnecessary. It basically replaces the function that the uppipe cat had on earlier models. It just heats up the cats and dilutes the exhaust to get it up to operating spec emissions quicker. Without any cats its extra useless.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got an email back from our dealership service department that says its not covered

I'll get the code turned off.

Actually the delete of that system is costly and a giant PITA. We just had a friend go through this. Peeps here say that I can just turn the code off and not have an issue, apparently my car is running fantastically other than this (according to the logs pulled by my tuner).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts