Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am considering a CB radio incase something happens well in the forest with no cell phone coverage.

Handheld units would have a slighter smaller range?

in Dash would mean mounting it in my dash. Not a fan.

Would I notice a BIG drop in performance one vs the other?

·
Registered
2009 X
89 Posts
Yes, your typical hand held unit will have a much smaller range than a dash mounted unit with a properly installed and TUNED antenna. You can get smaller units that can mount under seats, in a glove box etc if you look around Im sure you can come up with one. There are some pretty compact but powerful options out there.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,210 Posts
As Toyman says, the performance is really all in the antenna system. But a handheld with an external antenna is just as good as a mounted rig, except in terms of convenience. For casual/occasional go for a large magmount with a tallish whip (but not impracticably tall - a 4-5 foot long base loaded steel whip on an 8-10 inch base is a good compromise). Small magmounts should be avoided as they netheir hold well nor couple to the car's roof (groundplane) well.

-- Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
I just use handheld CB radios with GMRS channels. Some of these handheld radios transmit from 1-5 watts of power, which is a lot more than a CB radio (1/2-watt). However, as will all radios, the the signal is transmitted in line of sight. It means that the signal may not make it very far through a forested area, and won't make it across a mountain, buildings, etc. The ones I use reach approximately 30 miles. Also GMRS radios require the purchase of an license that costs around $85.00. The license is good for a whole family, and five years.
GMRS General Mobile Radio Service

1 - 4 of 4 Posts