Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well being a truck driver I love my CB radio, and I want to put one in the forester, but have no idea were to put it, any ideas? SF forester

THIS post SHOULD BE IN INTERIOR my bad

·
Administrator
15,340 Posts
I have a GME Electrophone 3400 that has a remote head unit. I cut the ashtray out and installed the head in there. The main body sits vertically on its side in behind the lower RHS dash panel.

The pic is not great for the cb but shows the mic cable and the panel next to my knee. RH drive of course.

Another nice install of the same unit was with the head unit in one of the sunglass holders.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester
30 Posts
Kevin said:
I have a GME Electrophone 3400 that has a remote head unit. I cut the ashtray out and installed the head in there. The main body sits vertically on its side in behind the lower RHS dash panel.

The pic is not great for the cb but shows the mic cable and the panel next to my knee. RH drive of course.

Another nice install of the same unit was with the head unit in one of the sunglass holders.
That's a nice radio. Can you take some better pictures please? What kind of antenna do you use?

·
Registered
13 Work Boot Do it yourself
583 Posts
Kevin said:

I like your compass...:)

·
04 XS Prem Gold
2004 2.5 XS Premium 4EAT
277 Posts
one option would be to get the dash top Gauge Pod, fabricate a bracket and mount your radio in there ... this is what I've done for my amatuer radio. See the attached "ft7800_in_pod.jpg" for what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,340 Posts

·
Registered
13 Work Boot Do it yourself
583 Posts
Kevin said:
What2: I'll get some more pics on the weekend. I use a 3 / 6 db antenna. The 3 whip works well but I'm not so sure of the 6. It's an older version of this:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43e1638009cbb98e273fc0a87f9c075c/Product/View/D4029

Exil XT: The compass is a marine compass "Ritchie Sport Compass" and has backlighting (I used the cig lighter bulb wire to connect). It has compensating adjusters to set initially so a true reading is shown.
Ill take it!

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Antenna mount: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k400c.html
This mount has frame grounding capabilities.

Antenna (4 ft): http://www.wilsonantenna.com/fg.htm

COMET UHF-3/8x24 ADAPTER
Originally the antenna mount was purchased for my scanner antenna.
This adapter will connect any standard 3/8x24 CB antenna to a UHF mount.

I havn't mounted the CB since I only use it on road trips.
Around town I keep the scanner hooked up and eavesdrop on the local CSX & FEC operations.

Good source for radio stuff: http://www.randl.com

GIT-R-DONE: What kind of truck you got?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I put mine where the ashtray was. Had to do a bit of slicing and dicing, but it slid in there nicely. It's only a small Radio Shack job, but it serves it's purpose.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
I haven't done a CB install yet. I might never get around to it, as I use CB very infrequently and I might as well just do a lash up install on those occasions. If I do install one properly I'll probably use the spare DIN slot (currently occupied by a storage tray). I'll either adapt a small CB to fit, or splash out on one of the DIN sized rigs now becoming available for a tidier job.

-- Steve

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
No full sized CB will fit in any din slots. I assume you want to install a "real" cb.. =P What CB do you have anyway?

GIT-R-DONE said:
well being a truck driver I love my CB radio, and I want to put one in the forester, but have no idea were to put it, any ideas? SF forester

THIS post SHOULD BE IN INTERIOR my bad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Icom 706 mkII

I installed my Icom 706 using the remote mounting kit (rmk-706). I installed the head unit under the passenger seat and the face is mounted using a universal standard mount, by RAM (#RAP-B-102). The mounting location for the face is attached to the center console directly next to the shifter. The temporary antenna mount is a wilson 1000 magnet. I plan on researing a good mount when time allows. I also plan on posting some photos when I get it all worked out.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I have a Comet hatch mount and it works great! Do consider hatch mounts when you do decide to go perm.

greggsfxt said:
I installed my Icom 706 using the remote mounting kit (rmk-706). I installed the head unit under the passenger seat and the face is mounted using a universal standard mount, by RAM (#RAP-B-102). The mounting location for the face is attached to the center console directly next to the shifter. The temporary antenna mount is a wilson 1000 magnet. I plan on researing a good mount when time allows. I also plan on posting some photos when I get it all worked out.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ZuMBLe said:
No full sized CB will fit in any din slots. I assume you want to install a "real" cb.. =P What CB do you have anyway?
yeah its a nice Cobra kinda large, but I might have to live with a radio shack one :(

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
psklenar,
I like your mount. I was looking at that one, but wanted it mounted in the center, on the top, of the rear lift gate. Think it will mount there rather than the side?

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a few days off I'm going to try something if ti works I post it....if it works.....

·
04 XS Prem Gold
2004 2.5 XS Premium 4EAT
277 Posts
The Wraith said:
psklenar,
I like your mount. I was looking at that one, but wanted it mounted in the center, on the top, of the rear lift gate. Think it will mount there rather than the side?
Unfortunately, no, this particular mount won't work there. the metal bracket that wraps around the hatch lip is too thick and the gap across the top of the hatch thins to almost nothing, around the middle of the roof, as you lift it. heck, I had to get track down thinner (metal thickness) hooks for my bike rack braces and the metal of the antenna mount is much thicker than those were. :( if you want it on the top of the hatch, you may be able to get away with it if you keep it off to one side or the other, a buddy of mine has gotten away with that.

on the plus side, where ever you mount it, this mount gounds quite well. :)

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
I've got my Diamond mount on the other side. Looks almost identical to your Comet.
How many set screws does the Comet use to hold it to the hatch? The Diamond has 4.
Does it have grounding capability? The Diamond does through the base.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts