Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Forester with 90K+ miles. My problem started in September 08 with the engine misfiring after a heavy rain storm. At that time the mechanic ran a diagnostic that came up with a Code #4 CYL misfire which he tried to duplicate but could not. He reset the computer and sent me on my way. Since then this is what has been going on (this does not include the times I went and he just reset the code):

*check engine light/code bank one Low Eff Cat Converter = replaced spark plug wires/#1 and #3 wires were not sealing at cylinder head

*check engine light/code for Low Eff Cat Converter = repalced converter and swap O2 sensors to new converter

*check engine light/code for Low Eff Cat Converter = replaced 02 sensors

*check engine light flashing and car stalled = replaced ignition coil

*check engine light = new mechanic told me that the site for the rear O2 sensor apears to be in the wrong location. It is behind the front axle and he thinks it should be located much further back in the exhaust system

I am tired of paying to repair this car and not getting anything fixed. Any ideas would be welcomed.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
164 Posts
Are these both Subaru mechanic? The rear O2 sensor is located at the mid section of the car and not in the rear.

Btw, are they using all OEM parts? (o2 sensor, coil and etc.) or aftermarket?

Try to get a another opinion from places that specialize on Subaru.

Lastly, where are you at?

GL

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Has the timing belt been replaced? You were probably having issues with misfiring due to the coil pack. What kind of wires and plugs are being used now?

Go somewhere like autozone etc and get the codes read and post up the actual numbers.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just went to a Subaru mechanic. The code is coming up as P0420 Cat Code. He suggested that I go back to the original person that put in the new cat and have him replace it. Hopefully he will not give me a hard time.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
164 Posts
P0420, will most likely be your rear o2 sensor. The first thing I would do is to replace the rear o2 sensor with a OEM sensor. If that doesn't work then it will be your cat.

GL

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
I agree that if you have a cat eff code and the cat has been replaced you should go back to the shop that made the repair of replacing the cat for that code in the first place. either he put on a bad cat, did it wrong or misdiagnosed it. either way you should not be paying again.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. I took my car back to the original mechanic and he replaced the cat. Then I got home to find a letter from Subaru stating:

In select 2005-2008 Forester they have found that the one-way fuel valve in the fuel tank may not perform as intended and could cause a condition that may damage the catalytic converter.

I really think that Subaru should pay at least for the new cat however they don't agree with me. We will see who wins this battle. As a loyal Subaru driver it is really disappointing how they handled the conversation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts