Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,575 Posts
2.5" is plenty enough.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Unless you plan to go more than 380-400 bhp in which case 3" probably.

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
H&S forester naming?

Guys,

Can any one now the answer for the following question:
When I am looking on H&S website should I choose what they called New Age or Classic Forester exhaust for my 2004 2.0XT version?

Cheers,

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Age for the XT...
Bless you :D

Can you recommend any shop where I could buy them in UK? I meas which can offer better price than the H&S website?

Cheers,

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
H&S forester naming?

Hi,

Apart from asking here I as well sent e-mail to H&S asking them about their naming convention for Subaru Forester. Underneath the answer:

"Hi

Classic is up to 2000 and New age is 2000+ . 2.5" is the normal size we would make for the forester as this is good for up to approx 350 + BHP and about perfect for a road car , if you go for a 3" system and haven't got the power it will be a bit laggy and also quite noise .The 3" centre if you go for it would start at 2.5" ( approx 3" long ) with the pressed flange that would link up to the standard donut gasket at the end of the down pipe and go up in size to 3".

You could also go a for a centre silencer if needed .

Hope this helps but if not please ask away .

Regards"

This just convince me that they care about customers at least they bother to answer emails. Will order it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
as above 2.5" is good,the newage is only good upto facelif then it changes again! try cobrasport thats where i got all my bits!!

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as above 2.5" is good,the newage is only good upto facelif then it changes again! try cobrasport thats where i got all my bits!!
Thanks for that. Are you sure new age will not fit XT 05-08? H&S says new age will fit 02-08?
I have a look on Cobra. They look nice, although I think it is a bit louder than H&S? Despite that you need to complete it using WRX STI parts as far as I understand? I now you can use WRX STI cat back system on Forester XT with longer hangers. Do you know which particular year I need to choose of WRX STI to be compatible with Forester?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2007 EDM FXT 4EAT ST3 Automatic
441 Posts
Why not save some money and just get a replacement back box? Gives you the same benefits (i.e. sound) but for considerably less cash. :)

You could start with an oem impreza sti and see how that feels. Any "new age" i.e. 01-07 impreza sti will "fit". :)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Why not save some money and just get a replacement back box? Gives you the same benefits (i.e. sound) but for considerably less cash. :)

You could start with an oem impreza sti and see how that feels. Any "new age" i.e. 01-07 impreza sti will "fit". :)

^ Agreed... wouldn't bother with an STi backbox though - it's as restrictive and as quiet as the stock XT item so of little gain. Cheap though. Personally, I'd go with a Prodrive (£100-150 via fleabay) or H&S backbox + remove the 3rd cat and get it mapped. If you really need it louder after that, you can fit a de-resonated centre pipe.

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ Agreed... wouldn't bother with an STi backbox though - it's as restrictive and as quiet as the stock XT item so of little gain. Cheap though. Personally, I'd go with a Prodrive (£100-150 via fleabay) or H&S backbox + remove the 3rd cat and get it mapped. If you really need it louder after that, you can fit a de-resonated centre pipe.
Hmmm, thanks for the advice all. I didn't consider that option. There is one thing which I don't get. I thought the XT has only two cats and they are just after center pipe going into turbo direction. I always thought that the box on the center pipe is sort of center silencer? That is why I wanted to get rid of the orginal center pipe and ad nice rear muffler all high flow? Am I missing smth? Or maybe I miss understand you?

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks, but I am not doing that for the sound only. First of all, stainless = no problems, unless you buy some Chinese 'cra...'. Secondly I want to map my car, and possibly change Turbo, so I want to have at least rear part of the system high flow. And finally I had a look on eBay, and must say it is not a great deal and saving to go with STI or Prodrive exhaust. You might save 100£ or even less for an exhaust, which is usually 2004-2005? I am not sure is it a good idea. No warranty, not sure in what condition is the exhaust? I don't know maybe I am getting picky, but I think I prefer to spent more, unless you can recommend some good source of used parts for Subaru.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2007 EDM FXT 4EAT ST3 Automatic
441 Posts
Thanks, but I am not doing that for the sound only. First of all, stainless = no problems, unless you buy some Chinese 'cra...'. Secondly I want to map my car, and possibly change Turbo, so I want to have at least rear part of the system high flow.
Sorry to say but you are about to waste precious money. :)

There are no "power" gains from the exhaust after the downpipe. The sti is not restrictive, the stock is not restrictive, at least not on the stock turbo level of power. And honestly, I doubt you'll see too much of a restriction on VF levels too.

If you want power gains and a remap you should change the downpipe. New downpipe and the rest stock is the smart thing if you are on a tight budget.

The exhaust after the downpipe is only about sound, don't let anyone fool you there.

:)

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
from what i remember doing my exhaust the stock isnt a true 2.5" system. the flanges are 2.5" but the pipe reduces and expands in places quite a bit iirc im sure i measured it down to nearly 2" at one point.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I've got a spare STi PPP downpipe with a Prodrive sports cat and second decat as per PM.

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to say but you are about to waste precious money. :)

There are no "power" gains from the exhaust after the downpipe. The sti is not restrictive, the stock is not restrictive, at least not on the stock turbo level of power. And honestly, I doubt you'll see too much of a restriction on VF levels too.

If you want power gains and a remap you should change the downpipe. New downpipe and the rest stock is the smart thing if you are on a tight budget.

The exhaust after the downpipe is only about sound, don't let anyone fool you there.

:)

Ok! You convince me. I hope I will get the down pipe PPP from fpan. And on top of it I will put probably the H&S back box, now my only concern is the centre pipe. My exhaust is pretty rust. Back box is starting to falling apart, but centre pipe still seems to be ok. But on the other hand if I am going to get this PPP down pipe and nice back box is make any sense to leave the old centre pipe? Can you advise guys?
Have one more question. I very already order the so called donut gasket and spring bolts. Will the fit the PPP down pipe? I be bought already as well the hangers (poli powerflex) I hope they will fit? And very last thing. You mention that any back box for new age impreza will fit? Although I almost certain I will buy the H&S if for some reason I would go with impreza back box is fitting is straightforward? Or do I need some mods with hangers or anything like that?

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts