Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have wondered how to more easily carry a sheet of plywood (or lumber/ladders) on the roof, I've been looking at these:
yakima.com/shop/racksystems/accessories/loadstop

You slide them onto your Yakima round crossbars + towers. They are meant to work along with straps to have a more secure load for lumber/ladders.

As long as you get wide enough bars (54") and slide the towers for maximum front-back separation you should have plenty of room for 4x8ft sheets... only catch might be if the towers themselves are at just the right width to interfere with loadstop placement, you might have to put two loadstops between the towers and two outside (slid out slightly to one side of the car).

Anyway, I'll post more (with pics) when I actually buy our new forester and pick up some of these.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got the Forester and racks. It does work... front end of the roof rails is farther apart so the LoadStop spread is actually 48.25" or so, but not that big of a deal. The LoadStops are actually rubbery plastic/hard rubber (flexible) so their job is really to increase friction, not hold back massive side-load force (and unless you're going to race around some mountain roads with a load on the roof, most of the forces are front-back). I didn't picture the straps, which are required (or use some ratchet straps)... loop over the lumber/ladder and under the cross bars on the ends. Front to back bar spread was about 42-44", enough to keep the plywood stable, though a long extension ladder might need some guy lines.

It's not meant to replace a truck for big loads, but it should haul 3-5 sheets depending on thickness and total weight. It's perfect for the odd project... bigger stuff? Rent a truck, borrow a truck, rent a trailer, use your own trailer, or get delivery (the point is I don't need to own a truck like I thought I did 10 years ago, the Forester is a versatile animal).

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... it should haul 3-5 sheets depending on thickness and total weight...
It could even hold a stack of sheets that was higher than the LoadsStops, if the sheets were pinned together. Drill a hole down through the stack in the middle of each end, and push a long nail into each hole.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could even hold a stack of sheets that was higher than the LoadsStops, if the sheets were pinned together. Drill a hole down through the stack in the middle of each end, and push a long nail into each hole.
Since the straps would be squeezing everything together you probably wouldn't need to drill a hole... but unless you're carrying sheets of cardboard, you're going to quickly exceed the [approved] load limit of the roof rails... of course if you're brave, keep loading. :lildevil:

·
Registered
2001 Forester Dual-Range Manual
614 Posts
These are a great idea. Means I could still go around corners a 50km/hr without the ladders coming off. lol. No, but they are a good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts