Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Forester has been making a "whirring sound" with from the right, front side when I increase vehicle speed. I suspected it was the wheel bearing but after taking it to a dealer today they said it's actually the "carrier bearing on center drive shaft" going bad.

Cost is $635.96 (part 27111SC021) + 1-1.5 hours of labor so total ~$800.

Is this a common problem with the 2009 Subaru Forester?

Any other options to consider?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You probably have it fixed by now, but just in case...
I had the exact same problem with my 09. The bearing is completely integrated into the prop shaft assembly so you do have to replace it as a whole. I picked up a used drive shaft and installed it myself. The cost to me was only 200$ CND and it took me less than an hour to do the work. It's a pretty easy job if you have tools and a couple of jack-stands, so if you have even a modicum of mechanical inclination you can do it yourself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same kind of noise. I’m going to check mine out this weekend. I know you can definitely get the parts cheaper aftermarket and do it yourself for free. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had noises getting worse until I took it in to a dealership here in Toronto, and they told me two rear wheel bearings and the prop shaft.

I had them two the wheel bearings ( they replaced the hubs, pricy ), but I had them hold off on the prop shaft as they wanted $1,300+tax CDN for it.

Mine is an '09 MT, been looking at RockAuto, NappaCanada, Dorman, as well as Subaru for the cost of the shaft, and prices are all over the place.

CanadaTire told me they could older a Subaru one for $650ish, or a dorman for $530ish ( need to find where I scribbled this)
Scarboro Subaru told me the part is $930 -I guess CadTire selling me a rebuild Subaru one?
Nappa has their own for $689 and over $1000 for the Subaru OE one.

I'm also confused because even when specifying a MT, there seems to be two lengths 63.25 " & 62.5" (nappa says both fit my vehicle...?)

Also where did you find a used one?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
notdavis
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing