Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I am looking to upgrade the head unit in my Forester, probably to the Pioneer SPH-DA120. (What's in there now is a single DIN Kenwood.) I also want to add a rear view camera so need a good sized screen, and Apple Carplay looks like a nice way to get navigation without looking at the phone. Apple Maps seems to have fixed their early problems and be competitive with GoogleMaps and Waze.

Installation of the whole package looks to be a bit time consuming, particularly routing the rear camera cable, but I'll allow plenty of time. But any advice or suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you go?
Hi Broadbean!

Sorry to be so late in replying, I rarely check this site and hadn't seen your query until now.

The answer is, I didn't! I'd expected a cheaper head unit to come out, from JVC, but it has turned out not to be such a great deal. So I'm still waiting.

I still have my 03 Forester and as it's cosmetically rough but solid mechanically I think it'll stay in the family and is worth putting a bit of money into, but not too much. My ancestors were Quakers and I've got quite a bit of that 'thrift' mentality (to put it nicely).

LMK if you have found a solution!

·
Registered
404 Posts
LMK if you have found a solution!
I installed an Alpine iLX-007 in a 2DIN Gauge Pod Housing that sits on top of the central dash air vents. It's a tad beyond my finger's reach without stretching, but at least it's not half (a third) obscured by my elbow in my 2DIN's original location. I bought a steering wheel with audio controls back in December. Not sure if the wiring for SWC is already there or not, and as I don't have a torque wrench, I haven't yet swapped the steering wheel over!

I also have a cheap rear camera from AliExpress, but that involves a bit of surgery and as I live in an apartment, I can't sort of leave a half-finished car in the garage and only work on it when I felt like it. Similarly I have a powered subwoofer ready to go, but haven't got my act together just yet! :grin2:

We replaced our seldom driven second car with a new Golf, which ended up being our daily driver as it's shorter, more frugal, great in the city. It even has a rear camera and I have to say, I've lost a lot of confidence parking the Forester without one! I really want to get that part of the install finished and while nice, rear parking sensors are not as necessary if the camera can be trusted.

As for yours, I suppose it's up to you if you wanted to throw more money at it. Having a CarPlay HU really helps. There are now single DIN CarPlay units out, but as usual, it may block something useful while the screen is out.

I'm convinced if I got that rear camera going and with a bit more thumping bass, I'd drive the Forester more again. :smile2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts