Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple has announced their next level of car infotainment system and Subaru is on the "coming soon" list.

Apple - CarPlay
Apple - Press Info - Apple Rolls Out CarPlay Giving Drivers a Smarter, Safer & More Fun Way to Use iPhone in the Car

I doubt it is something I would hold off my expected purchase of a 2015 Forester and wait for the 2016s or not... But it does look very handy since I rely on the IOS ecosystem for audio books, directions, texting and music in my vehicles anyways.

It looks like it's a special version of their "Airplay" screen/audio sharing technology that is formatted for a car display and has a controller feature that allows the car's audio controls (and touch screen if available) to interact with the device.

As such it will likely be a layer on top of the audio/nav system's interface. I would expect that it will not keep manufactures from supporting other technologies or be that difficult to implement. If the system has it's own Nav system I would hope the user would have an option to use the built in or Airplay.

Whether or not existing systems can be updated to support it or not (if the manufacturers would even bother) is another question.. I suspect that this would be rare.

If you hear any rumors of when/how Subaru might implement this, please share! :rock:

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
10 Posts
I hope I can swap the Harmon-Kardon display in my 2014 Forester with CarPlay. To say I'm disappointed with the H-K interface and features would be a massive understatement.

I'll be in my Forester for the next 7-10 years, so I wouldn't mind forking over the cheddar to make this a reality.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
25 Posts
I'm also really hoping there will be some sort of aftermarket implementation of this available, especially one that works with all the OEM controls and connections. We have a 2014 XT Touring arriving in a few weeks which were planning to keep for a long time, but the one thing I see more than any that will make the car eventually feel dated is the nav/radio system.

It's nice that Subaru usually uses Double DIN radios to keep upgrades easy, and puts things like the backup camera on the dashboard display so features aren't lost. However, I find that most aftermarket units look decidedly aftermarket with blinking lights and cheesy graphics...hopefully this solves that problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Volvo video on Carplay

Volvo has a video that gives an idea of how it might work. BTW-- it looks like it will be tethered via a special Lightning USB connector at first, with systems possible adding wifi capability down the road. IE- plug the phone in (with charging) and put it away.

Volvo and Apple CarPlay - YouTube

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Endgadget has a nice long video showing the functionality of Carplay in the new Ferrari.

Hands-on with Apple's CarPlay: when Siri met Ferrari (video)

The Forester's (2014) and Outback that I've test drove didn't have a Navi system- for IOS users, would these features be an improvement, a wash, or not worth switching too compared to the built in interface?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
3 Posts
Any new information on Apple's CarPlay?

Just was wondering if anyone's heard any news on this, seeing as the new ios 7.1 update includes CarPlay functionality.

Currently, the trim for my '14 fxt does not include the navigation screen.. I'm guessing you need one for carplay to work? I'm praying there's a small chance it will work with my MFD but I feel like it's not very likely.

On a side note, I hooked up my phone to the car via bluetooth for the first time, and someone called me on the drive home from work. Talk about good timing. I was impressed by the call quality! I guess I had low expectations. Also when I play music on bluetooth via spotify, I notice the system reacts much more quickly than it does when I had it plugged in via USB port. When I played spotify from the USB port I felt like I got a sluggish response and sometimes hitting "next" would skip two songs instead of one.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring 2.5i
11 Posts
I did just reserve a 2015 with nav, but I'm guessing it will be like the new Eyesight where the Forester will miss out and maybe the Outback gets it; that, or 2016 models.

Nav is in serious need of updating to make the interface look good with Carplay anyway.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Who makes the current nav systems?
I believe Fujitsu-Ten makes the current navigation headunits.

Many members here have already switched to Pioneer units because the factory one is so bad.

I am going to hold out for an android alternative, but may go with apple and pioneer if I must.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Ltd Tech CVT
516 Posts
I believe Fujitsu-Ten makes the current navigation headunits.

Many members here have already switched to Pioneer units because the factory one is so bad.

I am going to hold out for an android alternative, but may go with apple and pioneer if I must.
I'm not adverse to switching out the head unit, but any idea if it can be done on the 2014s/2015s without losing factory features (backup cam, any of the MFD functions, etc)?

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I'm not adverse to switching out the head unit, but any idea if it can be done on the 2014s/2015s without losing factory features (backup cam, any of the MFD functions, etc)?
Everything, including the steering wheel mounted controls, can be kept in working order.

You have to use a special cable (SVXdc) which you can find online.

There is a major thread discussing this swap, mostly with pioneer headunits, here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...rket-dash-nav-2014-xt-swap-backup-cam-154385/

Lots of pictures and links to what you will need.

·
SierraHotel
2010 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
545 Posts
Apple confirms CarPlay support for aftermarket systems...

Apple has finally confirmed they will support CarPlay in aftermarket systems. Pioneer and Alpine are the two aftermarket suppliers mentioned.

Subaru is also mentioned in the list of manufacturers that will eventually implement CarPlay in their OEM systems.

Apple confirms CarPlay support for aftermarket systems - CNET

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Apple has finally confirmed they will support CarPlay in aftermarket systems. Pioneer and Alpine are the two aftermarket suppliers mentioned.
Alpine too, eh?

I am tempted to switch to an aftermarket system, but I am not an apple fan...

Maybe if I get an iPhone as a work phone in the future, I may do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alpine too, eh?

I am tempted to switch to an aftermarket system, but I am not an apple fan...

Maybe if I get an iPhone as a work phone in the future, I may do it.
If they make the units capable of working with Carplay it should be easy for them to make it work with versions from Google and Micrsoft as well... They both have announced similar technologies for their phone OSes.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts