Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester Limited
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 09 Limited in 08 from Diablo Subaru in Walnut Creek. Diablo is a cool place. It was very hard to find a Limited w/o Nav in Steel Silver. I wanted this very specific combination and I only wanted to pay $25,545 plus tax and license. I was paying cash. There were two Foresters meeting that description within 800 miles. One was at Carlsen and one was at Diablo.
I tried to buy from Carlsen but was told that I would have to sign a privacy release due to the Patriot Act.
I read the release form and it stated that I was giving the dealership the irrevocable right to gather and sell all information about me including my social security number from any and all sources public and private. I refused to sign and they again said that it was required by law. I disagreed and reminded tham that they were only required to report any cash sale over 10K
which is true. I don't mind them reporting the sale but I will not give up all privacy rights to a car dealer. They insisted that they would have to check the terrorist watch list, which they did. Not surprisingly, there were no Irish American ex teachers on the list.
I was ready to sign the contract when the owners son came back in and said he would insist on the privacy release being signed even for a cash sale. I walked out. They called me the next day and tried again to sell me the car, I declined.
I eventually bought the one at Diablo and they told me that no privacy release is or ever was required by the law or by Subaru. I am very happy with the car and dealer. Did anyone else have to sign a privacy release to buy a car?

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,912 Posts
Can you get a copy of said form. I would love to see it. Good read by the way.

·
Registered
09 Forester Limited
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They absolutely refused to give me a copy or let me leave the dealership with a copy! They claim it is a confidential document and secrecy is mandated by Subaru Corp. Carlsen hit a surprising low on the sleaze scale. They had been a highly respected dealership in the past. I don't know if the son has the same standards as the old man.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Sux...

that Carlsen was adamant about said form. I bought my 09 Foz X Limited (with a bunch of extras: splash guards, satellite ready, cargo mat, dim mirror, etc.) from them for a little over $24k. Only option missing was the navie. Granted, I did not pay cash for the car and ended up financing about half the quoted price.

I used to go to Putnam, located in SF, because I live in SF. But after one bad experience with Putnam service, I pledged my allegiance to Carlsen (i still buy parts from Putnam tho).

Anyway, that sux about the weird form they tried to force you to sign. So far, I've had nothing but great things to say about Carlsen. Also, Carlsen's reputation on Yelp seems to sing their praises...but I don't know how good that is since not too many people are singing Yelp praises these days. Yelp=Class action lawsuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts