Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 FX. I saw many posts were you guys have slept in the back of your Foresters. Seems my cargo floor is a bit flimsy to hold a full grown man with out buckling. So my question is has Subaru made changes to the floor to make it lighter? I noticed in the '05 brochure, there is a picture with the floor up and showing a storage bucket in the spare's hub. My car has a giant black foam piece which needs tobe removed to access the spare. Also the surrounding storage niches in the floor are made of a ridge plastic which resembles thin bubble wrap, just ridge.

Also, why do local Sub dealers not stock accessories? Went to 3 Subaru dealers for the door tweeters, not one has them in stock. I guess I should buy online then I wouold not notice inane crap like flimsy cargo floors.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
The foam is probally SOA attempt to sound deaden the rear of the car a bit more, I'd agree that the floors are a bit weak, but you gain all the little neat spots to hold stuff

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SenorSubie said:
The foam is probally SOA attempt to sound deaden the rear of the car a bit more, I'd agree that the floors are a bit weak, but you gain all the little neat spots to hold stuff
Well, as weak as the might be, they are not near as flimsy as the cargo floor on my '98 Honda Civic. A gallon of milk would buckle that floor.

I was thinking about getting a piece of 5/8 plywood and tracing my cargo mat, but smaller, so I can get it in and out when needed.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I wondered about that foam too. I thought it was a cheap attempt to put 50 cents of foam in place of a full size spare. Take out the foam piece and I imagine a full size spare would fit.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ogopogo said:
I wondered about that foam too. I thought it was a cheap attempt to put 50 cents of foam in place of a full size spare. Take out the foam piece and I imagine a full size spare would fit.
True. But without the foam you'd need to beef-up the floor.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
A full-size spare looks like it would fit perfectly without the foam piece- AND it would provide the reinforcement the floor would need. Someone take one of your wheels off and try this- please report back:D

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Pre '06 models have a full size spare in that same spot.
There were no changes made back there except the foam insert to keep the donut spare from banging around.
I think the hold down hardware is the same too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Service Dept. at my dealer told me a full spare would not fit (in an '06), although I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
2xiraqvet said:
The Service Dept. at my dealer told me a full spare would not fit (in an '06), although I haven't tried it yet.
It seems that NYC/LI dealers don't know bubkus.
My friend in Plainview bought one last year and the dealer gave him bad info as well.
Well, that's what this board is for!

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
The MY06 Foresters in Australia come with a full size spare and they definitely fit. Does in mine anyway!

·
Registered
2014 FXT
123 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Sadly, SubaXtreme went out of business early this year. The name and some of the products have been picked up and the company is starting up. But from everything I've read, I wouldn't expect to see the tables come back. But shoot them an email to see what they say.

The new site:
http://www.subaxtreme.com.au/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts