Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I've got a 2008 Forester (love it) but our family has grown a bit recently and we're thinking about getting a rooftop cargo carrier. There are quite a few options out there and I've seen positive and negative reviews for almost every model I've looked at.

I'm thinking bigger is better, although I don't want getting the thing on and off to be too much of a hassle. That said, we probably wouldn't use it more than ten times a year.

Any recommendations? Any models or types to avoid?

Thanks!

PS - I searched the forums for this topic and saw quite a few dealing with roof racks but not the turtle shell carriers. If I missed the right thread, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction, and sorry for the redundancy.

PPS - As a new poster here, just want to add that I'm glad I found this site. Great resource!

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I think you'll get a bunch of recommendations for the thules or yakima's.

For me for the money, the best bet is the sears xcargo.
I picked up up about 8 years ago for our 02 wrx wagon and now use it on our 07 fxt.

I'm using the factory cross bars on our forester.

dm

·
Registered
2008 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I haven't checked that one out yet. May I ask how much stuff you can put in there? It looks fairly roomy.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
Thanks! I haven't checked that one out yet. May I ask how much stuff you can put in there? It looks fairly roomy.
For me it's more of a concern of exceeding the weight limit of the cross bars. 150 lbs I believe from my aging memory.

We typically will put all the bulky light weight items up top. (boogie boards, beach chairs, fishing poles, kites, towels etc...)

The unit in the picture is the smaller of the two xcargo carriers. I could use the larger one for the fxt, for the wrx the smaller was a perfect fit.

dm

Welcome to the forums BTW!!

·
Registered
2006 XT
675 Posts
Couple questions you must ask yourself:

Will you need to park inside a garage with the carrier attached. My Xcargo is just an inch or two to high. But I still can park in all Vegas parking garages with signs that say 6' 9".

Next is cost. Nuff said there.

Will it need to stay on thru a season? The xcargo says not to drive around when it's empty. I put mine on with just myself. Easy and takes just five minutes on the stock bars.

Do you need to pack ski gear. I don't but I doubt it would fit long skis.

That asked. I like the height of the xcargo as I can pack so much even some large tubs that I use for food supplies. I've been to most states and national parks over four years w/o any problems with the elements getting in.

As a native northwest skier for twenty years I'd pay the bucks for a good yak because it would live uptop all winter and that's what you get w/ the extra cost.

Comparing the cost I paid for my xcargo (I think they've changed the model lately) with a top yak solution. I bought a trailer hitch, bike rack and dinner with the money saved.

My two teen brats and I can survive for weeks on the road camping. In the back is a 52qt cooler, chuck box and duffle bags w/ clothing. Up top is:
Tent
Sleeping bags
Sleeping Pads
Tarps w/ 6 tarp poles
3 Folding chairs
Tub with food
Rope bag w/ ax
Boogie Boards, Snorkles, masks, fins
Extra crap.

Hope this helps. You will be amazed at how much these carriers can hold but you will also need to control yourself, there will be a limit. You purchased a Forester and not an Escalade.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
What's the cost on the Xcargo unit ? THe Thule/Yak carriers are $$$. Also, what kind of air resisitance do they create ? As in can you feel while driving you have a rack on the roof / more drag ?? With our family starting out I know I'm going to want to buy one of these . So the bigger one fits on the Forester no problem ?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
I have the Xcargo also, pic in here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f109/cargo-box-sale-sears-19798/

It works perfectly for my purposes. It's huge and cheap. It adds some wind noise, certainly. You know it's up there when you're driving since crosswinds affect you a bit more but unless you overload it with heavy items I don't think it affects the driving dynamics in a significant way.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
What's the cost on the Xcargo unit ? THe Thule/Yak carriers are $$$. Also, what kind of air resisitance do they create ? As in can you feel while driving you have a rack on the roof / more drag ?? With our family starting out I know I'm going to want to buy one of these . So the bigger one fits on the Forester no problem ?
Looking at sears the xcargo 20 is 199 on sale for 179.

My unit showing above I think was 15 cu ft unit, and I paid about 115 but that was on sale and 8 years ago. At that time they had a 15 and a 20 cu ft models.

I think the 20 would fit based on my 15 unit.

Sears also now shows a "xtreme" cargo carrier that looks more like the thule/yakima units for $300. I don't know anything about those, but that price range would put me into the thules etc...

dm

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Flip: the Sears xcargo 20 will save you a lot of money over a Thule, and it hauls a ton of stuff. I've got a thread under utility and protection w/pics, we took one of these carriers on our vacation to Toronto, it swallowed everything we wanted to put in it. It also made nearly zero wind noise at highway speed. Easy to put on (I put mine on in Sears' parking lot) and the u-bolts never needed tightening throughout our vacation. It's a big unit, so you want to figure out a place to store it when it's not on the car (ours sits across the garage rafters.). It opens from the rear only, so you will be stepping on the bumper to open it...once it is open, you can easily add or remove items from the side by standing on a doorsill (or from the ground, depends how tall you are.)
Steve
09 2.5X

·
Registered
2006 XT
675 Posts
Air Resistance-I'm sure there is some. On my XT I don't notice a difference other than maybe 1-2 mpg less. Also w/ it mounted you won't open the sunroof all the the way back as air is deflected down. I had a bird strike the xcargo front and land in my daughters lap:biggrin: Also fwiw, I never have changed my driving style with it on. I've had mine up to 110mph. My last junket to SanDiego it spent hours above 80mph.

Mine is the larger 20 cf model. fits good. I put the rear an inch in front of the rear hatch when open. Front edge is just ahead of the rear part of the sunroof opening.

Sure CG is higher but for my stiff Megen Racing CO setup you will notice little difference. Many a sporty driver has been passed by my XT fully loaded. A stock Forester is a leaning pig, one of these packed would only make it worse.

ymmv

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Hey there,

I've got a 2008 Forester (love it) but our family has grown a bit recently and we're thinking about getting a rooftop cargo carrier. There are quite a few options out there and I've seen positive and negative reviews for almost every model I've looked at.

I'm thinking bigger is better, although I don't want getting the thing on and off to be too much of a hassle. That said, we probably wouldn't use it more than ten times a year.

Any recommendations? Any models or types to avoid?

Thanks!

PS - I searched the forums for this topic and saw quite a few dealing with roof racks but not the turtle shell carriers. If I missed the right thread, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction, and sorry for the redundancy.

PPS - As a new poster here, just want to add that I'm glad I found this site. Great resource!
We have a Yakima 16 CF sky box we got a short time back and use it on our 09 and 01 Foresters..

What I have found out is do not get a rear loader as they are a real pain to load and you can not with the rear hatch open. Do not get one that loads from one side because you can not reach the other side if loaded. There always seems to be some thing that fell or is over there and you just can't get to it.. Unless you unload to get to it..

So we went with the 16 cf Yakima Sky Box. It opens from both sides, a real must we have found.. I like the fact it will not let you take the key out if its not locked. I also like that it has 3 latches on each side worked from the central lock.. When its locked the lid does not flap like some I have seen on the road.. We live in a windy area and 35 to 65 mph winds are common.. I also like the 4 levers that attach it.. Just set it in place and flip them.. 5 min. at the most. It has nice tie downs in side and I use bunge cords or 16 inch nets I get from walmart about 6 bucks or Harly Davidson about 10 bucks. My mpg fell by one mile per gallon on the highway while loaded.. Over all it was not the cheapest.. But works for us..

We now have about 5,000 miles with the box on one or the other forester.. We love the thing and 2 friends that have traveled with us have sold their other brand boxes and gone with the Yakima. We travel up to 200 miles to do our monthly shopping and we always install the sky box so we can put the paper towels and T. P. up there plus any other stuff thats light and to big to toss in the back.. We also like it for camping.

Snowdance
Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2008 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for their help on this topic. I think I'll go to Sears and check out the XCargo and then compare it with the Yakima and Thule -- no substitute for really seeing the product first hand. If I have any exceptional experiences with it -- good or bad -- I'll post an update for future reference.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their help on this topic. I think I'll go to Sears and check out the XCargo and then compare it with the Yakima and Thule -- no substitute for really seeing the product first hand. If I have any exceptional experiences with it -- good or bad -- I'll post an update for future reference.

Thanks again!
Good thinking.. I did just that and talked to every one that I saw that had a box that would take the time to talk to me.. Some made some points I had not thought of.. I only wanted to do it once and do it right for us.. But we use ours often for lots of different stuff..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X, 5MT
25 Posts
Another factor to consider is whether or not you want
to carry additional stuff on the roof at the same time - in which case a
long narrow box makes more sense. That, the need to carry skis (as others have mentioned), and good prior experience with Yakima products prompted us to get a skybox. See my post http://here, as well as posts by others in that thread.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X LEV II
67 Posts
I use the Xcargo Sport 20 from Sears on the Wife's Van, have thought of either using it on the Forester on even making a Trailer out of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts