Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks...

I'm researching for a Cargo Box and have some questions.

I was looking at the Thule Evolution 1600. Thule says it is 193cm long but will only handle a 180cm ski. Why?

What boxes are folks here using? Photos? What size skis will they accomodate? Does the box interfere with the hatch?

Other info or suggestions?

I have a 2006 Forester w/Sun Roof and Thule racks.

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
I have a Karrite 13 cubic ft roof box. 92 in long x 24 in wide x 14 high. I use a Yakima Locking Rail Rider cross bars and it does interfere with the rear deflector when opeing the hatch. To solve that problem, I purchased some OEM cross bars from a 99 I found at a wrecker. They are much higher off the roof and they allow me to clear the rear deflector.

I don't use if for skiis (but my x-country ones fit no problem) but I use it for my sailboard sale and other misc stuff.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
This won't apply if your wanting to hold skis. I wanted max size (20cf) and cheap cost. I bought the XCargo 20 fm Sears for $200 including tax. Works great, stable at highway speeds... works for me.

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Thule and love it, my current ski's are 175cm and they fit perfectly, had some 193cm and got them to fit but it was tough, you have to position them on top of other items at an angle, a bit of cussing to get it closed but they will fit if you have the patience. From the standpoint of easy installation I don't think it gets any better, it takes about 10 minutes with the help of a buddy and the u-bolt system to attach to the roof racks are amazingly simple. Just my 2 cents but I have used this thing numerous times and don't know how you can get any better, it fits the car well and I have not had any issues using the stock roof racks with it, have driven at highway speeds of 90 and it never gives me any problems and you can get a lot of gear in it, we usually have my ski's, 3 snowboards, boots, etc, etc so it really free's up room in the car. Good luck with your hunt.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have the Yakima 16S. Bought this one mainly because of the max length at 78 inches, which would not leave any overhang on the windshield. I think you can fit 180cm skis, but only in the middle because the front and the back edges of the box are rounded and not squared. Plus 10cm would not give you much wiggle room.

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tooxtraxtra said:
We have the Yakima 16S. Bought this one mainly because of the max length at 78 inches, which would not leave any overhang on the windshield. I think you can fit 180cm skis, but only in the middle because the front and the back edges of the box are rounded and not squared. Plus 10cm would not give you much wiggle room.
Just doing a little research here. I'm also looking at this box, is there room on the sides for any bike trays? I'd love to be able to do the box and two bikes (one either side) on top. I already have the bike trays and Thule crossbars that mount to the rails.
Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MattB said:
Just doing a little research here. I'm also looking at this box, is there room on the sides for any bike trays? I'd love to be able to do the box and two bikes (one either side) on top. I already have the bike trays and Thule crossbars that mount to the rails.
Thanks!
No. I wanted to mount just one bike tray (Yakima) and there's no room even when the box is wiggled to one side. This is on the oem crossbars though.

If you have wider crossbars, that extend beyond the roof mounts, then maybe you can mount the bike trays outside of the mounts. The problem though is access to the box with bikes mounted. The box opens from the side, either side.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys,

I finally got one. I went with the Thule Atlantis 1200. The Yakima was just too short (although it fit the car real nice). The Atlantis line is brand new (Came after I started this post). It’s probably not perfect as far as wind resistance, but does not extend over the windshield at all. MattB… I believe you could fit two bikes on the racks along with a Atlantis 1200. By the way… All Thule items are 20% off now at REI (That is were I got mine).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.
So Atlantis sounds pretty nice. I really like the idea of Yakima's quick release system because I'll probably only keep the box up there when I need it and take it off for fuel economy when I don't. Does the Atlantis box go on and off quickly or is it the same U-bolt system they have on their other boxes?
My crossbars are not extra-wide and they are the Thule system ones that attach to the rails and the bars and pillars are integrated, so different bars would be hard to put on. I bet I have about the same amount of space as the stock bars.
Does anyone know of a narrow Yakima (or other with a quick release system) that's pretty aero, opens from either side, and would give me room for bike trays?
Thanks,
Matt

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MattB,

The Thule Atlantis 1200 is only 25 inches wide, opens from both sides, and utilizes Thules new easy off system (I had the Yakima 1600s on and I think the Thule system is quicker/easier to use). I believe both systems will mount to just about any Rack (stock or aftermarket). I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger and I believe the A1200 id the shortest "Narrow" box on the market at this time. It sounds like we have the same racks and again, I could easily place one bike next to it and I think two would fit.

I hope that helps.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. Thanks.
My local bike shop has an Atlantis 1200 so we're giving that a shot.
If it's no good and I don't scuff it all up I'm sure I'll be able to swap it for anotther.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Check out my avatar

<----- Thule Evoloution 1200 w/ a Thule Velovise on either side

And that's all mounted between the towers. Thule has a great quick mount system for the Evolution 1200 which can be on/off in about 5 minutes. Just don't mount the box too far back otherwise your open hatch will bump up against it and scratch the glass...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Evolution 1800 .. Too Long??

Is the Thule Evolution 1800 too long for the Forester?
Thanks, snwcmpr

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
360 Posts
snwcmpr said:
Is the Thule Evolution 1800 too long for the Forester?
Thanks, snwcmpr
Using the comparison chart at Thule.com I would say no. I have a Thule Mountaineer roof box which is listed at 91.5" compared to 91.3" for the Evolution 1800. Check out this post for pics of my box on the XT: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=5698. Some people do not like any amount of overhang, but sitting in the driver's and passengers seats my wife and I could not see the box. We needed to lean all the way forward to the windshield to see the box. I set the box up so that there is about a .5" between the box and the rear hatch when fully open. Note: Which such a large box, I can only carry one bike on the rack which is a bummer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hey there snwcmpr! Finally we're getting some more northwesterners on here...

Anyway, this is my Yakima Spacebooster, I love the new mounting system Yakima is using, and it works on any bars(thule, yakima, stock) and they make several that are the same size as the Evolution 1800.

Let me know if you have any specific questions...I spend the last 2 years working at the downtown REI...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found a Thule Excursion marked down 35% so I got it.
http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=11&sku=667TT

It's short, so it doesn't extend over the windshield.
It's wide, so I can't add anything to the side of it.
And it's rear entry, so I can step on my rear bumper cover, Subaru option, to easily get into it.
It holds 13 cubic ft.

Glad I found this forum, and hope to send and receive more Forester info as time goes by.

Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts