Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a roof cargo basket that would hold a spare wheel and tire? Thinking of going this root for my winter setup. Plan to grab one more wheel and tire and have it there just in case? Would like to have a full all weather cover, a front air diffuser in front of the basket to make it more aerodynamic, and if possible a way to bolt the wheels down using lug nuts.

Any help would be great. thanks!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Yep!

I had a Yakima LoadWarrior WITH Extender, and the Yakima spare tire mount. It had the standard fairing. Kamil still has it on the car.

With the extender and the tire mount, I was able to carry my spare (215/70/16), two bike racks (straddling the tire, it was tight, but it fit), and I could fit a cooler between the bike racks.

The yakima spare tire mount doesn't use the lug nuts, but I found it REALLY secure. I practically jumped the car once, and it never made a noise. I had mine clamped to the OEM SF cross bars, and with the extender it was almost as long as the roof. It was, bar none, one of my favorite mods on the Forester.

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
I second BAC5.2's response -- I have a similar setup on my 2010 Forester, a Yakima Loadwarrior and with Yakima rails and the Yakima spare mount (but I don't use a fairing, at least not yet...). I have a full-size 17" spare attached up there with the mount, and as he says, it's rock solid. With the Loadwarrior extender (which Yakima seems to say doesn't fit on Foresters, but it does, at least in my experience) there's enough room to put a cargo box up there in front of (or behind) the spare as well. Nice setup.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I ran the Coleman/Sportrack basket for a while on both Foresters. Decent build quality, the same size as the Loadwarrior, and relatively inexpensive. I ordered an extension for it, but one of the tubes was bent, so I couldn't get it to mate with the basket. I eventually sold it to lilFORESTER.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
5 Posts
Has anyone ever modified one of these roof racks? I was looking for more of an open end basket for longer items such as a Canoe or lumber, while still having good sides to strap to. If so, does it mess with the integrity of the unit? I'm a good welder so I figure I can come up with reinforcements. I've seen some online ie: tradesmen, but looking to get one on the cheaper side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts