Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys's,
I've got a quick question hopefully you've already solved.
I'm interested in a Cargo barrier.
I already have the Cargo Tray - low dish.
The subaru website says the two are not compatible.
I assume it's because the tray doesnt have holes for the barrier fixing.
Whats the problem with cutting the tray and fitting the barrier thru it?
Any solutions? Is it that easy?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The low dish cargo tray and the cargo barrier do fit together, although not perfect. I have both in my new XS.

Basically the edge of the cargo tray can be bent and then sitting against the barrier. If you like, I'll take a photo and post it (when I get a chance).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Griffo,
That would be great.
Did you get dealer fit or is there a decent aftermarket you could recommend?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the dealer fit it. They are manufactured by Haymen Reese, who I think are located in Melbourne. I think the barrier is a bit tricky to fit (ie needs fixing to the pillars etc).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am pretty sure the Subaru Australia supplied (made by Hayman Reese), confirms to Australian Safety standards (I'll check the label that comes on it). It also has an "Emergency Break Glass" hammer.

The main reason I got mine, was that when doing long trips up to Queensland, with a 8 month old baby in the back seat, pram, bags, toys etc in the rear (possibly stacked to the roof), the only safe option was the cargo barrier.

You get used to it being there after a while....they're not so bad really...and gives you piece of mind in the event anything happened.

I'll take some pics on the weekend and get them up ASAP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maybe Milford make the Cargo Barrier for the SF w/out the sunroof....but I am sure Hayman Reese make it (via Subaru Australia) for the SF with sunroof. (I'll post the pics soon).

As for the cargo tray low dish on ebay, for $90 + $15 shipping, its just as cheap to get it from Subaru Aus ($130).

Now if you want cheap and something different, Subarugenuineparts.com have https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_27&products_id=459 for $55 USD (Approx $75 AUD), and it also comes in beige!!! OK, shipping adds some, but still probably cheaper!!

D

·
0 Posts
good call on the boot mat from Subarugenuineparts.com... My mat out of my MY01 doesnt have the lips, and is made from a heavy rubber, and in my opinion is a much better mat than the current models...

the DIN pocket, that goes in the X/XS here in Aus is about $42... to buy from the US is $25.40... how the hell do I find out the shipping charges from them??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Towbar + Cargo barrier

Hayman Reese is referred to the type of towbar (square one) whilst the cargo barrier has a reference to Milford (http://www.milfordind.com.au/index.php) who provide them for Subies here in Australia.

In terms of cargo barriers - I believe you can get two types. One for behind the rear seats and one for behind the front seats. In a sunroof version I guess you can only use the version that fixes itself behind the rear seats.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Drew said:
good call on the boot mat from Subarugenuineparts.com... My mat out of my MY01 doesnt have the lips, and is made from a heavy rubber, and in my opinion is a much better mat than the current models...

the DIN pocket, that goes in the X/XS here in Aus is about $42... to buy from the US is $25.40... how the hell do I find out the shipping charges from them??

Send them an email and they will quote freight charges, might be best to combine with other goodies that you might need so as to save cost.

PS what part of Melbourne are you from ? I am in Bayswater.Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
pug20g said:
Hayman Reese is referred to the type of towbar (square one) whilst the cargo barrier has a reference to Milford (http://www.milfordind.com.au/index.php) who provide them for Subies here in Australia.

In terms of cargo barriers - I believe you can get two types. One for behind the rear seats and one for behind the front seats. In a sunroof version I guess you can only use the version that fixes itself behind the rear seats.
The genuine expensive Subaru Australia cargo barrier I have (as listed on the SA web site) is made by Hayman Reese according to the big warning label on it. It is a dual position barrier in that it fits either behind the rear seats or behind the front seats (with sunroof). However, moving it from one position to the other can be challenging if you are not good at puzzles. The supplied instructions were useless. When fitted in the rear position, there are four "spare" brackets which are used to fit it in the forward position.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dale said:
The genuine expensive Subaru Australia cargo barrier I have (as listed on the SA web site) is made by Hayman Reese according to the big warning label on it. It is a dual position barrier in that it fits either behind the rear seats or behind the front seats (with sunroof). However, moving it from one position to the other can be challenging if you are not good at puzzles. The supplied instructions were useless. When fitted in the rear position, there are four "spare" brackets which are used to fit it in the forward position.
Thanks Dale - that clears some things up :). Just with the nomeclature I am used to, Haymeen Reese means just another name for the towbar usually associated with 4WDs (due to load rating).

The preferred cargo barrier installer for Subarus maybe up to each individual dealer as that is the brand that my dealer quoted (so I assumed they did them for all Subies).

·
Registered
70 Posts
As per Dales post, and looking into the Milford, I think the difference is Hayman Reese make the Cargo Barrier for the sunroof and Milford makes it for without the sunroof.

To show how the Hayman Reese fits in the rear, I finally took some pics, and also with the Cargo Tray - Low dish fitted.

I've also got the Cargo Net fitted, which I got from the dealer (handy to hold the baby pram and bits in place) and also a Side Net which I got from subarugenuineparts.com (handy for other bits, toys etc)

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guy's, thanks heaps for the info.
I'm sold.
I didnt realise that you can move the barrier forward to behind the seats.
Very handy indeed.
Never seen one driving around that way. I can see that t will be handy for work too.
Just gotta convince my wife (or my boss), of how quickly we NEED one.

Baby due in 10 days, so pretty soon i reckon!

Griffo, i like the look of the side net too, thanks for catching it in the photo.
This shopping list is just getting bigger everytime i log on.

Thanks once again,
Justin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Something I learnt when ordering the side nets (which aren't avaialble here in Aust), is that they are single only, if you want a pair, you need to order 2! (My fault for not reading the fine print).

They are handy though, for storing all those extra bits! Go to https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/index.php?cPath=22 for all the bits you want!!!

The cargo barrier is a must have if you have a baby and you carry a lot of stuff in the back.

Slightly OT, but I also recommend the painted "Splash Guards", aka mudflaps and also the "Tail Pipe Cover" is a nice finishing touch!

BTW, best of luck on the impending new addition to the family!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Griffo,
I already have the muddies fitted - standard dealer Black.
I dont mind the contrast, i caught your thread on the painted guards, did they turnout well.
I've posted pics of my XT earlier today in the member gallery.
But i dont have a later shot with the window tint done. It was a must.
Tail pipe cover? Is it different to the standard XT?

Justin.

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
Griffo said:
Something I learnt when ordering the side nets (which aren't avaialble here in Aust), is that they are single only, if you want a pair, you need to order 2! (My fault for not reading the fine print).
They are available locally, around $45 each, just not listed on the web. The three options - side (x2), behind the rear seat, and longer one near the tailgate, are all in the MY06 Forester Accessories booklet. Got the price from my local Subaru dealer's spares department.

Melbfxt said:
Thanks Griffo,
I suspect rear mudflaps are standard on (at least) MY06 models.

Yes, it's standard on the Turbos. Don't care, I'm getting one for my XSL!

A lot of these smaller items are not much more expensive than the US. Except things like the Cargo Tray and the Rear Step Panel - what a rip off!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Melbfxt said:
I think the MY06 here in Australia comes with the rears as standard. I liked the idea of the painted ones, a full set of 4, and yes, I think they came up OK..a bit tricky to fit, but worth it! I'll get my act together and post some pics in the gallery too, now that most of my bits and pieces are fitted!

Melbfxt said:
I think it is much the same! Looks good, just finishes it off! From the rear, you might almost think my XSL is a XT! :)

broadbean said:
They are available locally, around $45 each, just not listed on the web. The three options - side (x2), behind the rear seat, and longer one near the tailgate, are all in the MY06 Forester Accessories booklet. Got the price from my local Subaru dealer's spares department.
Oh well..I didn't pick up on that...pays to RTFM or rather RTFAB!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Melbfxt said:
Hey Guy's, thanks heaps for the info.
I'm sold.
I didnt realise that you can move the barrier forward to behind the seats.
Very handy indeed.
Never seen one driving around that way. I can see that t will be handy for work too.
Justin.
Be warned, unless you are good with puzzles it will be difficult to to move it from one position to the other, particularly the first time. The two pages of customer instructions which came with mine are little better than useless, with no information on how to fit it in the forward position. Once I figured out which way all the bits went, I labeled them. e.g. right front, up.

When you are practiced, it should only take about ten minutes to change positions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts