Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've begun my brake upgrade and I went with Carbotech Bobcats. I can't seem to get the caliper to bolt back down if I have the stock shims on the front pads. Anyone have any advice on this?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,063 Posts
Have you pushed in the caliper piston all the way? (keep an eye on the brake fluid level when doing this, you can force it up and out of the MC. Nasty stuff brake fluid)

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, used the caliper tool to push it all the way back. Right now I have no shims on the outside pads and the solid shim on the inside pad on both sides. My car is still on 4 jackstands so I'd like to correct any problems while everything is still apart. I used the red stuff on the pads. I'm hoping it will be fine like this. Maybe wear down some of the pads then put the shims in? Still a bit annoying. But it seems that some people have gotten the Bobcats on with all the shims?

Peaty said:
Have you pushed in the caliper piston all the way? (keep an eye on the brake fluid level when doing this, you can force it up and out of the MC. Nasty stuff brake fluid)

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
Yep, used the caliper tool to push it all the way back. Right now I have no shims on the outside pads and the solid shim on the inside pad on both sides. My car is still on 4 jackstands so I'd like to correct any problems while everything is still apart. I used the red stuff on the pads. I'm hoping it will be fine like this. Maybe wear down some of the pads then put the shims in? Still a bit annoying. But it seems that some people have gotten the Bobcats on with all the shims?
Just checking...but you are sure you got the right pads, correct?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
There are two models of pad, if memory serves. So the check is a good idea. I think the changed happened in the '04 model year. I know that's the case for the WRX, but I think it's true for the regular impreza and non-XT foresters too. The difference in pad shape is very slight.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pad fits in the mounting bracket just fine. It just seems a bit thick. I got the pads from Roo so I would think they are the right pads.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I got the pads from Roo
Well there's your problem! :) just kidding! Roo knows his stuff and i'm sure he sent the right pads!

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, I got them on with no shims on the outside pad and one shim on the inside pad that touches the pistons. My fronts seem fine. My passengerside rear seems to have developed a squeal though.. =(

G

·
A friend of mine owned a garage that specialized in exotic cars, he had customer bring his Ferrari 275 GTO back, after he had done a brake job on. The guy was complaining about the brake squeel. The mechaninc that worked on the car told the customer, "yea, that's how you know they are working".

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But that would mean they are working when I'm not stepping on the brakes.

sbake said:
A friend of mine owned a garage that specialized in exotic cars, he had customer bring his Ferrari 275 GTO back, after he had done a brake job on. The guy was complaining about the brake squeel. The mechaninc that worked on the car told the customer, "yea, that's how you know they are working".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts