Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would know why a car would not start in park but start fine in neutral? When I tried to start the car in park everything came on as usual but there was no sound from the engine. On the advice of a friend I shifted into neutral and then tried starting the car and it worked fine :icon_eek: I have three theories about what it is(but i'm no expert):

Dead Battery
-The problem with this idea is explaining why shifting to neutral fixed the issue.
-We had been driving very short distances(0.5-2 miles) between starts and this was the 5th attempted start in probably 40 minutes. The car started fine the previous 4 times.
-The battery is 6+ years old as well.

Car not in Park all the way
-Explains why shifting to neutral let the car start
-If the car was shifted into park improperly would I have even been able to remove the key from the ignition when I stopped the car in the first place? I did not notice anything different happen when I shifted to park.

Failing Neutral Safety Switch
-Also explains why car wouldn't start in Park
-Since this issue hasn't happened again and it has been around three weeks since it did happen I doubt whether this is the case
-There have been no issues with the cruise control disengaging

Some help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda figured(but hoped otherwise) that that is the most likely culprit. It just seems weird that it would only happen one time in three and a half weeks if it was starting to go bad.
Neutral safety switch gets my vote.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts