Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an automatic 98 subaru forester L with about 136k miles on it. I recently had the starter replaced with a used starter that had about 60k miles on it, and it was running better than ever. I also replaced the fuel pump because there is this ghost noise coming from right around that area but no one knows what it is. I have also recently replaced the oil and filter.... Well heres the issue. I turn the key, the lights and everything comes on but it does not even begin to turn over. No engine noise whatsoever. ... what went on before the problem. I have a very large stereo system with a second battery in the back, i was cranking that really loud and suddenly my subs turned off. I said whatever checked everything, its all fine. battery's both have about 12.4 volts in them, main engine battery has 590 / 600 amps, my power distribution block shows no amps going to the subs... so after that when i tried to turn my car on... nothing. Any ideas? I can send pictures, I can give you more details whatever anyone needs.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
no noise whatsoever usually means bad starter solenoid or perhaps blown fuse in that circuit.

there is also the interlock system. this is so you have to be in P or N to crank car. i'm not sure how the subaru is wired exactly, but is possible one of the interlock components was accidentally damaged, unplugged, or dislocated during some of the other work on the car.
i once helped someone with a minivan of which i had no knowledge and we found that deep snow had knocked one of the connections loose to a switch mounted in the transaxle. plugged it back in and voila!

if bad battery, low voltage, or bad battery connection you can usually at least hear the click of the solenoid pulling in.

edit: of course the dual-battery and audio setup could be part of the problem if it wasn't done well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts