Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ordered 2019 Forester and just trying to find out as much info about car in general before taking delivery in March. Do you need to shut the eye sight system off when going through an automatic car wash or if car in neutral it goes off automatically. That would be something I would have to remember each time since never had to deal with that. Ah technology

·
Registered
2019 Forester
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant in general with respect to eye sight. I’m not running out to get my new car washed. I only wash mine after a lot in winter to get salt off from roads.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
822 Posts
The problem is that if you don't shut off Eyesight, the car might decide to apply the brakes if it detects an oncoming object, like a brush or stream of water, while you are in the carwash. :surprise:

·
Registered
2019 Forester
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So then Yes IF I go to a auto car wash I would have to turn off the eye sight. That’s all I wanted answered. Not if I should or shouldn’t go to one. I’ve taken my car to my car wash for years. It’s automatic. I don’t have a garage so car always parked outside anyway. When I need a quick clean up after a winter storm I go there.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium CVT
67 Posts
EyeSight and Car Wash

I have taken my 2017 Forester with EyeSight through a brushless carwash about once a month since new. At this particular carwash, you stay in the car as it goes through the wash. At first, I turned off the EyeSight system before entering. Then one time I forgot to do it, and nothing happened. This carwash instructs you to keep the car running, in neutral, with your foot off the brake as you go through the wash. Don't know if having it in neutral makes any difference, but since that time I forgot to turn off the system, I have continued taking it though with the EyeSight system turned on without any incident.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Ltd+"Tech" pkg CVT
38 Posts
I meant in general with respect to eye sight. I’m not running out to get my new car washed. I only wash mine after a lot in winter to get salt off from roads.
With respect to your specific question (and totally aside from the "irreconcilable differences" debate about how to wash a car), I had the same question with my 2017 Forester the very first time I wanted to take it to my local normal rotating brushes (not brushless) automatic car wash, that I've always used with my other vehicles (and like you said, only once in a blue moon).

In my 2017 Eyesight manual on page 23 it shows the Pre-Collision Braking System OFF switch in the console area above the mirror. Page 29 shows a picture of the vehicle going through a rotating brushes car wash with a ! CAUTION notice that explains why you should turn it off ... "Otherwise the Pre-Collision Braking System may activate unexpectedly."

·
Registered
2019 Forester
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I started looking at the manuals online. Like 200 pages just for eyesight. I’ll turn off the system when it’s time to wash it. No big deal. Will just have to get use to all this new technology for me. Have until April to read up on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it is an interesting question - will the pre-collision braking engage if the car is in neutral? Most automated car washes around me have you pull in, then place the car in neutral. The tracks in the floor then "pull" you through the wash. The manual states "when using a drive-through car wash". I am not sure the ones that pull you through would be considered "drive-through".

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
151 Posts
I think it would as you are (car) is moving in neutral the brakes may be applied. I’ve been to both the one that moves the car and the other where car is in a stall where the sign says shut car off and the machine is U shape travels fore and aft relative to the car. I turn it off.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
17 Posts
For 2019 Forester , see Eyesight manual pages 30( pull through car wash warning) and 22( location of Precollision deactivation button above mirror). Manual specially says TO deactivate system for this type carwash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To answer the initial question, speaking from the salesman side of things....you can absolutely leave Eyesight on without incident in an automatic car wash. It won't hurt anything and does nothing more than beep a few times letting you know that an "Obstacle has been detected."

It's not going to randomly slam on the brakes or hurt anything electronically or mechanically.

More of a sanity check feature than anything...(in regards to the brief beeping.)

·
Registered
2017 forester
18 Posts
FWIW in my extended family we have a 13OB, 14 OB, 15 Xtrek, 17Foz, 18 OB all with eyesight. As everyone else seems to live happily with dirt I have probably taken them thru the wash more than anyone else.(Plus I think the kids think why pay for anything, if you drive a dirty car home, dad will inevitably take it to the carwash - and gas up!) I never turn Eyesight off. I have once had the eyesight system activate and it did try abruptly brake transiently which was a very startling experience. As that was in the carwash I use the most, its seems its not particular to a type of car wash. It happened with the 18 OB, maybe they changed something in the eyesight compared to other years.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
844 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring. Only been through an automated car wash with it once.

I didn’t disable Eyesight or do anything other than place the car in neutral, and the car wash track assembly conveyer moved the car through the car wash without any issues. To be honest, I didn’t notice to see if Eyesight automatically disabled itself or not, but I don’t think it did.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts