Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for this, but had trouble getting any results. The car is a 99 L, 250,000 KM's.

I have an 07 forester and 04 Legacy as potential parts doners for testing purposes.

Short story:

My car starts, but then dies shortly after. Check engine light is on. If I hold the throttle slightly, the car will stay on, but if I pull the gas it dies right away. It also won't really rev up past 3500 or so.

Long Story:

My car sat for a while. When I went to get it going the alternator was dead. The clutch needed doing so I had the clutch done and a used alternator put in. I then drove the car 500 km's or so, after which it sat for another week.

My friend went to start it and it died immediately.

I know I should get the codes run, but is there anything obvious here?

Thanks for the help guys.

Marlow

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
I would place my bet on the fuel filter. Enough gas getting through to maintain idle but not higher rpms.

Easy inexpensive job on our Foresters with the filter under the hood.

There is a good write up on this forum. Search "fuel filter"

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester X? Auto, 76k miles
2,157 Posts
Check codes first. Sounds like MAF sensor is unplugged or a vacuum hose. While it seems unlikely since you drove it after it was worked on, maybe something just wasn't plugged all the way back in.

I just came across a new MAF for a 99 I bought and never used. I need to get off my but and post it for sale on here. But I'd get the code and look over every hose/plug before buying parts.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought a scanner today.

P0102 (Mass air flow sensor circuit low input) is the error.

I'm going to check the connections and see if the part is the same as my other subies to troubleshoot this.

I'll report back with results but if you guys have any pointers please share!

Thanks,

Marlow

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
The fuel filter sits in the tank with the fuel pump in subarus from 05 and up. Making it somewhat harder to change.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Bought a scanner today.

P0102 (Mass air flow sensor circuit low input) is the error.

I'm going to check the connections and see if the part is the same as my other subies to troubleshoot this.

I'll report back with results but if you guys have any pointers please share!

Thanks,

Marlow
So with luck it's all good with a new MAF...

·
Registered
1999 Forester
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed!!! The harness for the MAF sensor wasn't clicked back into place so had wiggled out.

This is has been the easiest and most pleasant car 'problem' I've ever fixed. Thanks everyone who looked at this and tried to help.

Cheers,

Marlow

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Fixed!!! The harness for the MAF sensor wasn't clicked back into place so had wiggled out.

This is has been the easiest and most pleasant car 'problem' I've ever fixed. Thanks everyone who looked at this and tried to help.

Cheers,

Marlow
Great. Glad it was a easy fix :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester X? Auto, 76k miles
2,157 Posts
Wow, I've barely been on here for months but I called that one!

VERY glad it was an easy fix for you. I miss my 99 Foz. :)

·
Registered
09 FXT on e85 AT
477 Posts
Resurrecting this from the dead.

My issue is the same but I didnt get a cel. Car just sputters at idling then dies. So its the maf wiring harness connector to the maf. However it just loosens up over time. Worse is if its in between, makes car go rich all the way up to open loop. Had to discover this the expensive way (on the dyno) and later confirmed it via my aem uego. Pushing it in further makes my Open loop afr go back to what I tuned it.

With wiring harness replacement being the last, what possible solution can I have to make it connect properly to the maf sensor?

·
Registered
2005 FXT
4 Posts
I am hoping that my sitch is the same I just took off my Perrin Short Ram with K&N filter, cleaned the filter, then reinstalled everything to have it start but run terribly rough I unplugged the MAF and cleaned it. Currently the car is sitting with sensor unplugged and batteries disconnected. Anyone have any idea if the computer resets after being unplugged.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 4EAT
20 Posts
snow cat - yes, the ECU will reset after the battery is disconnected for a length of time. To speed the process, you can tap the brake pedal a few times (the brake lights will draw any residual power in the system) and wait 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
1998 Forester Standard!
5 Posts
I've got a very similar problem. I have a 98 L Standard, CEL is on, Codes show P0102 which is the MAF correct? Car starts up fine but starts to stumble or shutter then either dies or almost dies, then catches it's self and revs up again. When out driving, the car hesitates a little then runs normally. I am a little confused with this problem, would it be safe to say that a new MAF would be the best fix for this?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 4EAT
159 Posts
P0102 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input

Since you have a code it's definitely worth starting at the MAF. It could be as the OP's issue and that it's unplugged or the connector is loose. It also could have corroded connections which would cause it to have poor voltages. As you conclude the sensor could be out too. It's possible the sensor needs cleaning too which is causing it to send bad data which is being interpreted as a circuit fault.

I'd inspect it and all looks good start with some MAF cleaning solution and do a careful cleaning of it and see how it goes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts