Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring auto
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I am driving, a high-pitched squeal sound comes from somewhere inside the dash - probably more on the passenger side. It started happening a few weeks ago and now occurs intermintently. It sounds like a steady screechy interference whine that one would hear on the radio - except the radio is not turned on. We first thought it had to do with radar detectors, microwaves and/or the radio, but now have no idea. The sound is happening more frequent and seems to occur most when driving on the highway. Is some sensor or electronic part failing? Does anyone know what I am talking about? I have read other posts and this is a not a wind related problem. Nor does it relate to the steering. It definitely sounds electronic and comes on and off randomly.

The car is a 2003 Forester XS. It sounds like a squeal that you would hear from shortwave and taxi cab radio interference - it's hard to describe; I may have to record it. Thanks for the responses. This is making me crazy and I am worried there is something seriously wrong. Of course the car just finished its 3 month used car warranty period in NY.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure what it is either, but I have the same problem between 60-80 in my 04. If you find out, let me know.

G

·
0 Posts
ringing noise in Forester X Premium

We just picked our new Forester up two days ago and we noticed the noise last night. An alternate description might be the sound made when making a crystal wine glass sing by rubbing a wet finger around the rim. Since several folks have mentioned this now - has Subaru responded to this yet?

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring auto
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
High Whine when going 60 mph or higher

I have determined that the noise I was hearing from my dash is actually coming from the front windshield on the right side. It comes from the passenger side near the the dashboard - which is why I initially though it came from the dashboard. It starts at around 60 mph and gets worse when going faster. Is something wrong with the windshield gasket? is this the same problem that has been mentioned previously in this forum?
see http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5358
From reading the threads it seems to happen to a lot of people - many describe it differently but I think its basically the same problem.
I must have hit a pothole and jarred the windshield gasket loose? This is driving us crazy.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Another source of whine... the dimmer... when you have the dimmer not at full brightness, it creates a whine...

I

·
0 Posts
whinning noise

Mine does it too. I just bought a 2006 XLL Bean, less than 100 miles on it, it sounds like a high pitch noise, sort of like radio static, but my radio is not on...I complained to the dealer yesterday, and they are going to take a look at it on Monday...very disappointing!!!

I

·
0 Posts
whinning noise found out what it was

I found out from the dealer today that the winning noise is my fuel pump...apparently the Forester has a saddleback fuel tank that the fuel pump is attached to the side...vs. on the top for most conventional cars...the dealer claims it's a normal noise, I made him turn on another New Forester LLBean and got the same noise...any one out there hear the same thing? I requested an inquiry to Subaru corporate to ask if there is a fix for this annoying sound.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
i've noticed it too, most recently this past weekend, when the car was traveling around 90 mph... i was driving back from LA on Hwy 5, i don't normally drive that fast... it sounds wind related, but i guess it could also be caused when vibration caused by whatever guilty components hit a certain frequency, not usually reached at slower speeds...?

I

·
0 Posts
contacted subaru

I submitted a complaint to Subaru today to see if they can offer a fix...the customer service rep claimed they'll get back to me in 48 hrs.

We'll see.

·
Registered
2006 LL Bean Forester automatic
59 Posts
inet73 said:
I submitted a complaint to Subaru today to see if they can offer a fix...the customer service rep claimed they'll get back to me in 48 hrs.

We'll see.

Let us know if you get any response on the fuel pump noise. I've had mine replaced twice and the noise is still there (though it is reduced with the newest pump). My dealer is out of ideas and I am tired of having to take my car in for the same "issue". You can see my info in the link posted just above this post.

I

·
0 Posts
High pitch sound in the back

Ok, here is what I heard back from the dealer. Apparently a crappy fuel pump design was installed in early 06 Foresters...they claimed that my vehicle was way past the date when they cut over to a new fuel pump. I told them that was still unacceptable, the high pitch is REALLY ANNOYING. So they are going to try and replace my fuel pump. I also called SOA to tell them about the issue. The service rep says they are going to contact the dealer to get more details. The key here is follow up like crazy. I have a service rep's name and told them that I will not keep the car unless the noise is dealt with. I am in Ohio which has really strict lemon laws...I am not at the turn this car in yet mentality, but am getter closer.

I

·
0 Posts
SOA says it's normal

ok, I got a very disappointing response about the whining sound in my vehicle, they claimed it's normal. They won't even offer to replace the fuel pump.

I still asked them to come out and hear it in person...I don't know what you all think, but it's very annoying.

Does any one else have any ideas what we could do as a group?

·
Registered
2006 LL Bean Forester automatic
59 Posts
Well I have had my fuel pump replaced twice and the noise didn't go away (although it is slightly reduced). I actually spoke with my dealer today and they are going to have me meet with the Subaru technical rep when he comes to town at the end of the month (I think he is a direct person from SOA). They want me to show him the noise and see if he has any opinions.

Although I am tired of dealing with this issue, I have learned to live with it, but I'd also be happy if it were fixed.

I also complained about it on Subaru's website (under "contact us"). Maybe of others do the same, we can get something done to fix it (if it is possible).
There seems to be quite a few 06 owners on this board with this problem. a few have had the fuel pump replaced and still had the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts