Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 forester XT 4EAT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
On Thursday when I got back after 2 hours of driving flats areas, I had to climb 22km to my city,it was on 2 o'clock noon the temp was 38c outside.
Than the temp gauge start climbe little bit and the oil temp arrived to 105c, I'm with front oil cooler, mishi rad.
Than when Got to flats again the temp went down, and the oil temp went to 86c.
What am I missing?
The only thing I didn't replace on the cooling system is the water pump could be the cause???
I have external trans oil cooler (auto trany) burped the system with funnel like it should be.
Cups replaced no leaks.
I have to say inside the city and when not moving every thing is fine the oil temp does not raise from 90c on hot days and the water temp where it's should be.
Only when go up long hill when it's hot outside makes this problem.
Same hill climbing in the night nothing happens.
No boble on reserve tank, no water in oil/oil in water.
Any one can point me???

Sent from...somewhere

·
Administrator
17,261 Posts
Do you know what your coolant temperature was at the time? What speed were you doing? What gear was the auto in most of the time?

There is a steep hill I travel sometimes with several S bends and, depending on traffic conditions, I enjoy pushing it really hard so in summer my coolant temp can get up to 105-110C on a very hot day.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
319 Posts
I have the same radiator with 2 fans and I’ve noticed my temps stay around 88c. When I’m bad traffic, sometimes it goes to 96. But once I start moving they drop down. All these readings I got from my Cobb AP.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,127 Posts
You have several external oil coolers. How much area do these coolers cover the main coolant radiator? Seems there is no enough surface area on the radiator to exchange the additional heat of going up hill. See it there are cold areas on the main radiator. These might be blockages inside the radiator.

·
Registered
2008 forester XT 4EAT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I was driving at 90-100 KMH on 4 speed gear it is auto trany.
I didn't measure the temp but seems to me it was around 100c.
I have 2 oil coolers that covers all the bottom of the front bumber, the grill is all open to the air coming when on moving.
You can see at the pictures on the right side the gear oil cooler,and on the left side there is nothing
What if I will put tmic instead of tmic it will block also so what is the difference?.

Sent from...somewhere

·
Registered
249 Posts
your temp experience is normal, and the max temp you state is not over the safety limits. and not over heated,........... when your vehicle climbs long hills it has to work harder to maintain speed,;; , if you are over convened than i urge you to place a pancake style electric pusher fan in FRONT of the external coolers , either thermostat probe controlled or on demand switch,

·
Registered
2008 forester XT 4EAT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But what is the "normal" temp for Subaru, the needle start goes up little bit not to the 3/4 but raised from the regular place.
Why Subaru vehicles drive warmer than others, I had Honda for many years and it didn't hit even when I put turbo on it every whether it stay steady.
Also I forgot to mention that I lowered the temp that the fans start working from 95c to 90.
Today I climb at noon again the temp raised to 98c on 30-40 kmh is it ok?

Sent from...somewhere

·
Registered
249 Posts
more work for the engine and transmission makes more heat ............... atf external coolers ;, deeper coolant radiators and external engine oil coolers reduce that heat ............. with all three either you rely on air passing thru them due to moving car or fans pulling or pushing air thru the coolers,............., coolant temps of 195 to 215 or so F are normal temps [ you convert to C temps] if your electric fan are running as they should , these temps are ok, ................... if fans are not running, then find out why not, ................... when ac is on BOTH fans should run and cycle on/off frequently in slow traffic running, YOU can add more fans as needed in front of the external coolers, either thermostatically controlled or use on.off switch that you control ,................. i assume that you are using a quality oil in 10w-30 or 10w-40 or even 15w-40 there.- i suggest that you use 15w40]
.... these temps are ok, once they pass 235 to 240F and stay there ,. then it is too hot

·
Registered
2008 forester XT 4EAT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok what about head gasket, if my head gasket would have go bad, in any condition it would have warmed up right?
Cause on winter and even at night now in the summer,and also when the hit outside is dropping like in 5pm 6pm every thing is fine.
I have fan that I got with the trany cooler but I can't put it, there is not enough room between the cooler and the front bar that found behind the front bumper.
I'm using 5w40 engine oil.

Sent from...somewhere

1 - 9 of 9 Posts