Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Automatic
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I just picked up a Yakima Load Warrior (woo!!) and installed it on my 14XT with the spare tire carrier for my fifth wheel (yeahhh!), and embarrassingly enough, if I actually end up needing to use the wheel in any real emergency situation, there's pretty much no possible way for me to get it off of the basket without a ladder of some sort unless I were to roll down the windows and stand on the door frame to reach it (which I am not about to do :evilatyou: ).

So my questions are, do any of you guys have this problem, and if so, what has your solution been? Any suggestions on something like a compact, telescoping ladder of some sort that I could stow in the car and use to reach the roof basket?

I've seen those step up things that you place on the tire, but the positioning of it won't really help me in this situation. For those of you wondering how I got the damn thing up there and fastened down in the first place, I used a ladder.

·
Registered
2000 Ford Focus Wagon 5 speed manual
463 Posts
Nope. I'm 6'2", there isn't a forester around I couldn't flat foot a tire off the roof. Maybe grow some more? :biggrin:

What is your reason for putting the spare up there? Looks? I wonder if having to carry around a ladder wouldn't be much worse than just storing the tire where it belongs

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. I'm 6'2", there isn't a forester around I couldn't flat foot a tire off the roof. Maybe grow some more? :biggrin:

What is your reason for putting the spare up there? Looks? I wonder if having to carry around a ladder wouldn't be much worse than just storing the tire where it belongs
look man, if you're not going to provide any useful information, there's no need to comment on this thread with your rude remarks. obviously, if i were 6'2" i wouldn't even be posting this, but i am not.

i'm not putting the spare up there to for looks. the tire is larger than the oem wheel size and will not fit in the spare tire well, so my options are a hitch mounted spare that will get in the way of the rear from opening or a roof mounted spare if i am to utilize a full size wheel that matches the rest. i went with the roof mounted spare... and here we are...

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Not sure what to tell you. I would think your best bet, other than a ladder, would be to stand on the top of one of you tires and hold onto the basket.

I would recommend putting the tire in your spare compartment rather than on the roof. It might not look as cool, but it will help your fuel economy and be much easier to access when you need it.

Here is how I got a full-size tire in the spare tire compartment: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/geojoshs-xt-journal-282330/#post3027793

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
look man, if you're not going to provide any useful information, there's no need to comment on this thread with your rude remarks. obviously, if i were 6'2" i wouldn't even be posting this, but i am not. .
He was not criticizing your height. He was saying that even he, being 6'2", could not get a tire off the roof.

I assume you have it attached to the basket in the center of the rim? Nobody could reach high enough to access the center of a roof mounted tire... even someone 7 foot or more.

Here are the most compact a-frame ladders I can find online:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He was not criticizing your height. He was saying that even he, being 6'2", could not get a tire off the roof.

josh, please read his comment one more time carefully.

anyways. thanks for linking me your spare tire install and the links from amazon... i'm running 235/60/17's so they're a little bit larger than the tires that you are running and there lies the problem

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for anybody with the same issue... i'll likely go with this unless someone has a better suggestion:

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
for anybody with the same issue... i'll likely go with this unless someone has a better suggestion
I guess he was criticizing your height, and he is a fool for doing so. I am 6'4" and could grab a tire off the roof, but not out of a roof basket. There is no way I could get it detached from the roof basket and out of the basket.

Regarding that ladder, are you going to lean it up against the body of the car? That is why I linked to a-frame ladders, assuming you did not want to do that.

Your tires are only 1/2" larger in width and height than my spare is, so I think if you deflate it as much as possible, it might fit in the spare well.

Do you have any pictures of your new tires and roof rack?

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Something a little easier to carry?
Like this?

I've got the same for reaching to the center of the roof while detailing, throw it in the back to carry, or even under one of the seats..

What if you open one of the doors and stand on the sill?

I think I'd be looking for another solution rather than carrying a ladder..
What about standing in the back a la jeep cherokee?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding that ladder, are you going to lean it up against the body of the car? That is why I linked to a-frame ladders, assuming you did not want to do that.

Your tires are only 1/2" larger in width and height than my spare is, so I think if you deflate it as much as possible, it might fit in the spare well.

Do you have any pictures of your new tires and roof rack?
The a-frame ladders looked nice, but something more compact is what I would prefer. I was thinking about using foam bumpers or a sleeping bag to lean it up against the side of the car if I need it in an emergency.

fwiw, I won't be keeping it up there all the time, but I am going on a cross country road trip and would like to have a full size spare. I've taken the full size spare with me on other road trips before and had it inside the trunk but this time i will be sleeping inside the car for multiple nights, so that's not really an option anymore. I haven't tried deflating it, but I'm assuming the sidewalls are pretty stiff... might give it a go though, just to be sure. I believe RigBert1931 on here has tried it though.

here's the post when i first got the wheels: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...nt-information-175057/index2.html#post2076522

and here's the basket + spare:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something a little easier to carry?
Like this?
this looks like it could work if it was a bit taller and itll be better than a ladder, hmmm... thanks! gonna search around for some more like this

also, i've carried the spare in the back before but this time is a little different. i have a twin sized futon that will be taking up the back seat / cargo area for my girlfriend and i to sleep on while we drive across the country for three weeks. it pretty much takes up all the room back there

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
550 Posts
I am reminded of the old lady that swallowed a fly...

Wow, that is an elaborate piece of equipment just to get a tire off the roof. I would suggest climbing onto the roofrack to handle the tire. With a little care, you can toss the tire off the car and let it bounce to a stop. The crossbars will definitely hold the static weight of a person on it. I am 5'10, and generally I am able to stand on the back tire and reach out over the bars to handle kayaks or gear. Also, have you considered getting a smaller tire for the spare? While I understand that you will need to go without AWD when running that tire, but that seems a bit more practical than carrying a fuel-economy-sapping tire and a space-eating $100 ladder with you for the unlikely event you have a flat.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Also, have you considered getting a smaller tire for the spare? While I understand that you will need to go without AWD when running that tire...
There is no AWD disable mode for the 2014 Foresters. Specifically, there is no FWD fuse to put in.

The spare donut that comes with the 2014s is similar in diameter (to the stock tires, which he has gone up in size from), but you cannot go over 50 mph and it would not be suitable for offroad use.

This is why many of us are going to full-size spares.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts

Becareful with that. It was designed for large SUV with big wheel opening. On forester it might not fit the wheel well plus the rear strut to tire clearance might not be enough.
I seen some other design that does not have to reach behind the wheel. Its only like a fork and use bungee cord to grab the wheel spoke.

Rubbermaid have a very light step ladder. Its rather bulky but its less than 7 Lbs so just strap it on the roof next to the tire. Cost about $25 at costco If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I ended up going with a Werner 223-6 stepright stool from amazon. I'll be keeping it in the cargo area underneath a large piece of foam to even out the height of the trunk and the folded back seats while placing a foldable mattress on top to sleep on. Essentially i won't be losing any storage space that I was planning on using so it works out pretty well for my purpose. Appreciate everyone's help and suggestions

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium, AWP 5MT
566 Posts
Something else you might consider (only for this XC trip you are going to take) is to remove the rear seat cushion completely. On my '11 it is simple and easy to take out (4 bolts) and it frees up a bunch of space where the seat used to be. Might be able to put your ladder under there. I did this for my last XC trip and my wife and I slept in the back a time or two when we just didn't want to be bothered setting up the tent. Got back home and replaced the seat. Easy. Also, without the seat cushion the seat backs lay completely LEVEL with the rest of the trunk.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
If the ladder doesn't end up working for you (i forsee it being kinda shaky especially on the side of a road), consider using your rear wheel as a step-stool like the previous poster. Foot between the tire and the fender. That's what I use when I bolt down my 28-foot extension ladder to the roof rack. For a spare tire on the roof, I would unbolt the spare and pull it to the side of your loadwarrior, then get back on the ground and pull the tire over the siderail from there.

·
Registered
2000 Ford Focus Wagon 5 speed manual
463 Posts
look man, if you're not going to provide any useful information, there's no need to comment on this thread with your rude remarks. obviously, if i were 6'2" i wouldn't even be posting this, but i am not.
Look man, if you're going to be so sensitive, stay off the internet! :biggrin: It was obviously intended as a joke (note the emoticon) and I did ask a relevant and helpful question for more info.

Anyways, it sounds like you're bought a ladder already, but if were me, I think I would invent and fabricate a device that could be used to flip the tire in and out of the carrier. It might be more trouble than it's worth, but I have an idea in my head of how it would work. I'll try and make a drawing if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts