Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone caught click and clack this weekend, but they started out with a discussion of Subris (rhymes with hubris): "the excessive pride that causes owners of subarus... to drive too fast when it snows."

Careful out there all you east coasters in the snowpocalypse (II).

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
What is considered fast? I am a confident winter driver, but not over-confident. I put the snow tires on in December and leave them on until March. My speed adjusts to the conditions of the roads. Today, for example, the fastest I would drive is 40 mph on Interstate 95. I always gear down in the winter, apply the brakes smoothly and I always make sure that the car is CLEAN!

Michael

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ I agree - "too-fast for conditions" is related directly to two main factors: the vehicle (including tires) and driver capability.

How fast is too fast? To mee, too fast is when you plow/slide-off into a ditch or other roadside immovable, or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_iuJHv9hI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk&feature=player_embedded

It don't matter what you've got (OK, so, maybe if you're on studded ice-racing competition tires, things are a little different... :wink:), disrespect mother nature at your own peril.

Now this guy/gal is either really lucky, or pretty danged skilled. :smile: --->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a293u2g27CE&feature=player_embedded#

^ Always have an "out," and don't be afraid to think unconventionally.

But yes, take the criticism to-heart, my fellow Subaru lovers.

There's only so much that we can do - we're still bound by the laws of physics. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ I wish I had more of those videos, believe me!!!!

I beat you to it by 3 days, but I paraphrased the definition from memory. You might have gotten it exact! :icon_wink:
^ But you're old (which is why you listen to the radio, since the invention of the moving picture and TV, you know?) and have master-level Kung Fu! :biggrin:

OK, seriously.

I could listen to Click and Clack all day.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,932 Posts
^ But you're old (which is why you listen to the radio, since the invention of the moving picture and TV, you know?) and have master-level Kung Fu! :biggrin:
That plus I was driving at the time!

And I'm not old. Just older.

OK, seriously.

I could listen to Click and Clack all day.
MIT graduates they both are. Who says we aren't articulate!

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Not sure if anyone caught click and clack this weekend, but they started out with a discussion of Subris (rhymes with hubris): "the excessive pride that causes owners of subarus... to drive too fast when it snows."
Next to the dictionary definition is a picture of my wife, who just yesterday morning did some free "mods" to the front fascia of her Legacy on her way to work during a mild snowfall. On the Interstate exit she lost traction and bonked the right-side snow pack. I told her that she was going too fast, after I warned her repeatedly the last couple years that Subaru AWD is not a magic bullet against low traction. She claims she was going slow enough and that it was just really slippery in that spot. I asked her if there were 16 other cars plowed into the snow bank at the same spot. She said no. "Do you know why? Because all those other cars weren't going too fast."

I think I'm going to wait a while to fix it, until she gets the message of why it happened.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Cartalk w/ click and clack is just the best. Great combination of hilarity and wisdom. I love it when they delve into a spouse vs. spouse automotive argument! You know, they grew up in Cambridge and attended MIT on a couple of scholarships that MIT had reserved for Cambridge public school grads. Not sure they are exactly the rocket scientist type, have heard them say that the local scholarship kids pretty much stuck together at MIT in order to survive. "Subris" did make me laugh, altho usually it's some kind of a Jeep that I see rolled over on the median during a snowstorm! BTW, they are very big on using winter tires (4 of them) and they do rate Subarus highly. If you've never visited it, their "Cartalk" website is just great.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Next to the dictionary definition is a picture of my wife, who just yesterday morning did some free "mods" to the front fascia of her Legacy on her way to work during a mild snowfall. On the Interstate exit she lost traction and bonked the right-side snow pack. I told her that she was going too fast, after I warned her repeatedly the last couple years that Subaru AWD is not a magic bullet against low traction. She claims she was going slow enough and that it was just really slippery in that spot. I asked her if there were 16 other cars plowed into the snow bank at the same spot. She said no. "Do you know why? Because all those other cars weren't going too fast."

I think I'm going to wait a while to fix it, until she gets the message of why it happened.

^ To confess, I'm actually one of those who, occasionally, go too fast.

Granted, I haven't done so in about 9 years, but I was not a native to snowy/icy winter driving, and it took quite a bit of nagging by my wife - and a few close-calls - before I learned my lesson.

Now, I'm that guy in the Subaru with good winter tires, screaming at my rearview mirror because I just *know* that the Subaru driver behind me, more than likely without winter tires, is gonna eat my rear bumper, if I had to execute an emergency maneuver.

----

And I'm not old. Just older.
Noted, sir. :biggrin:

MIT graduates they both are. Who says we aren't articulate!
^ I thought the stereotype was just antisocial? :icon_razz:

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@bbottomley, sorry, man! I did search for subris and didn't find anything... Maybe typed it wrong!
@everyone; total c&c addict; and yes, old (well just turned 50, so feeling old).

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,932 Posts
@everyone; total c&c addict; and yes, old (well just turned 50, so feeling old).
"I'm only growing older; I'm never growing old!"

- Deanna Bogart, Songstress, Howard County, MD

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5-speed MT
78 Posts
I just caught that episode last night as a podcast, laughed out loud. They followed up the "Subris" definition with the location of the the place to attach the tow strap when the Subaru does get stuck - "out back".

Actually, Tom and Ray seem to be hot and cold on Subaru's. One of them frequently disses the WRX and Turbo's for being peaky and having too much power for snow. Recently there as a husband-wife disagreement as to which of the couple's two cars should be used in heavy snow - the husband's Forester or the wife's Acura RDX. They recommended the Acura. Go figure.

-dman

·
Registered
1998 Impreza RS/WRX
11 Posts
Definitely agree that Click and Clack are entertaining and for the most part are spot on, imo. And in regards to Subris...Im also guilty as charged...however I am, as others have said, a confident winter driver with a car that is equipped well for the weather challenges.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
".

Actually, Tom and Ray seem to be hot and cold on Subaru's. One of them frequently disses the WRX and Turbo's for being peaky and having too much power for snow. Recently there as a husband-wife disagreement as to which of the couple's two cars should be used in heavy snow - the husband's Forester or the wife's Acura RDX. They recommended the Acura. Go figure.

-dman
Tom and Ray are now rather, um, mature gentlemen. I have noticed that their reco's tilt heavily to the vehicle w/the most comfortable seat! And in that department, the RDX beats the Forester hands, er, seat down.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

1 - 20 of 26 Posts