Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing the inside of my car for like 3 hours and of course the car died :icon_frown: Anyways, I jumped it just fine and everything works, but the head unit doesn't light up and none of the buttons work..... except it still is playing the CD in there and I cant adjust the volume down!

I checked the fuses and everything seemed fine. Are there any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Could just be a glitch caused by weird voltage when car died. Disconnect and then charge battery (with a charger), and try again. I'm willing to bet it will work then.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang, not working :(

I'm going to drive it around for a while and see if it resets, otherwise I'll be ordering an aftermarket setup... ugh

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,971 Posts
Does "washed the inside" mean water? That could do a number on the electronics if it got into the wrong place.

How did you do the jump start? That can (rarely) put a surge into the system.

The radio does have two sources of power: one to keep alive the settings and the other to operate it.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no, I wasn't just throwing water on the dash haha. Just shampooing the carpets, seats, etc. It was working right before it died so I grabbed battery charger that I have and the car started up fine.

So maybe one of the power sources got screwed up some how? I hate dealing with stupid stuff like this!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,971 Posts
Here are the two circuits that power the radio. These are for my 2003 but most probably are the same in your 2004. (I had to dig into your profile to find your info. Please list it in your signature. It helps us help you!)

Fuse 2 under the hood (15A - always on)
Bottom fuse in right column
Auto A/C control module
Clock
Combination meter
Integrated module
Luggage room light
Radio
Room light
Security control module
Security horn relay
Spot light​

Fuse SBF-4 under the hood (50A - key controlled)
Farthest right of the large fuses along the bottom
Clock
Compass mirror
Radio​
Even if a fuse looks good it might have a hairline break. Test it.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're sure its not a fuse?

EDIT: I'm just saying, because it seems fuse-y. But I guess it can't be if its turning on at all... This is weird.
Ya I just dont get it. I've had lots of cars in my day and this is definitely a first. I'm wondering if it blew a circuit in the radio when I jumped it, or if maybe there's a fuse on the back of the unit itself? But ya its playing the CD in there now but I can't change it or adjust the volume.
Here are the two circuits that power the radio. These are for my 2003 but most probably are the same in your 2004. (I had to dig into your profile to find your info. Please list it in your signature. It helps us help you!)

Fuse 2 under the hood (15A - always on)
Bottom fuse in right column
Auto A/C control module
Clock
Combination meter
Integrated module
Luggage room light
Radio
Room light
Security control module
Security horn relay
Spot light​

Fuse SBF-4 under the hood (50A - key controlled)
Farthest right of the large fuses along the bottom
Clock
Compass mirror
Radio​
Even if a fuse looks good it might have a hairline break. Test it.
Thank you so much for the time you put into this! I just checked and all fuses are fine. I even tried switching them out and nothing has changed with the radio situation.

Guess its time to go aftermarket :icon_frown:

·
Registered
03 Forester 2.5X 4 Speed Auto
674 Posts
Verify that your radio doesn't have some sort of anti-theft lockout that got triggered when the battery died. Best bet would be to call the dealer and ask, since they would then need to input a code

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,521 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts