Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my son and wife are on a road trip in his '03 Forester. He sent me the video in this link. It sounds to me like a bearing, maybe? The exhaust fumes, oil, coolant, oil levels, temps, and charging all appeared normal. He reported no loss of power at the pedal. They were 25 miles East of The Dalles, Oregon when they sent the video. I told them to drive slowly back to the Dalles to a mechanic and if the sound changed for the worse just stop. Well, they made it to the exit and the car died. Everything just stopped. I'm afraid the engine seized. It's on it's way to the shop now. Any advice along the way of figuring this out is appreciated. We live in the Salt Lake City area, so they still have 11 hours of driving ahead of them to get home.

Mechanic says that the tensioner blew apart and blew through the timing cover. Engine won't crank even to get compression readings.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
889 Posts
You didn't ask for this perspective, but if that incident happened to my '99 at 230,000 miles, I'd be looking to replace the car - having decided a couple years ago that I wouldn't be doing any more expensive repairs on mine. Your son may have different schedule ...

Best.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perspective is always welcome. This car only has 120k miles on it. Overall it's in good condition. He's getting a crate engine with 50k on it from JDM. You can't find a 50k mile car for the repair cost.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know that anyone cares, but the crate engine turned out to be from a newer Subaru with all the newer parts on it. Those were removed and we're going to be selling them to recoup some costs. Lots of little things had to be removed/replaced to make this swap work. I'm glad it was outsourced, even though there was a cost involved.
-Water inlets
-Alternator
-AC pump
-Timing belt gear with proper number of teeth had to be sourced
-sensors apparently have some different resistance requirements. Temp gauge is out of whack now.
-Had to swap some wiring harnesses
-etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts