Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS I was coming home today, my car just died. It just stopped running, but all electronics are working as they should. I tried to start, but it just tries to turn over but wont. I put it in gear and was able to push it which makes me think (hopefully) that the engine didn't seize up. By the way it is an 01 Forester, 5 sp manual with 160K on it. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
as i'm understanding, the starter cannot turn the engine over but when you push it in gear it does turn over? that's strange. Since you can have a lot more force while pushing it if it is seized you might still be able to budge it...but that shouldn't happen unless you 1. overheated, 2. had no oil, or 3. had sugar in your gas tank.

My suggestion is to open the timing belt cover and check if the belt is still intact.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I will check the timing belt in the morning. It was just changed less than 7,000 miles ago, but I guess stranger things have happened. If it is the timing belt, I'm guessing that there's valve damage. I'm REALLY hoping the belt is still there in good shape, but I have a bad feeling.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
So, let me get this straight. The engine will turn over using the starter motor but will not start?

If true then it is either spark or gas,

Clogged fuel filter
fuel pump not pumping
coil pack not producing spark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts