Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a wierd issue for a while now. Back in the winter when it was really cold, my car would cut power if I put it in neutral and came to a stop. It stopped doing it for a while and in the last few days its been doing it again.

The problem now though is that it cuts power sometimes if I put it in neutral and come to a stop, but i've also noticed that it cuts power even if I have the clutch pushed in and am taking a turn. It only does it when decelerating, whether it be coasting or taking a turn.

I plugged in my accessport to check for any codes, but there are none on there.

Any ideas of what it could be?

I should note that the problem started following my tune back in November, so could it be something that he did for the safety of the car?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it stalls.

^^^ that's all I can describe it as. All the lights come on on the dash, just like when you stall the car

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
So it stalls, but the engine doesn't completely stop? Do you have to restart the car? Its possible the idle speed is set too low or something?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it shuts off completely, the steering wheel doesn't move, and I have to restart the car. All the lights on the dash come on (CEL, brake, etc.) just like when the car is stalled.

I have no idea whats causing it. Like i said before, I looked for any codes that would indicate a problem but my AP came up clean.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
^^ Yeah, that would be a stall. Much easier to just say that it stalls rather than try to explain the description of a stall. :biggrin:

So, your engine stalls when decelerating only? Does it feel down on power while driving normally? Does it vibrate harshly before stalling? Can you replicate it over and over in the same turn/spot or is it sporadic?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ Yeah, that would be a stall. Much easier to just say that it stalls rather than try to explain the description of a stall. :biggrin:

So, your engine stalls when decelerating only? Does it feel down on power while driving normally? Does it vibrate harshly before stalling? Can you replicate it over and over in the same turn/spot or is it sporadic?
Haha ok good point. Yes, it only happens when coming to a stop/slowing down to take turns.

The car drives great, no problems with power. It doesn't vibrate or anything before it stalls. That is why it suprises me because I will feel the wheel lock and look down and notice that the car stalled. Other than that, I would never know that it had happened. I think for the most part its sporadic but I have a feeling that if I put the car in neutral on an off ramp and just coasted to the bottom, it would stall at least 1 out of 5 times. Today I also noticed that coming to a quick stop even with the clutch engaged, it decided to stall on me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Usually when this happens the engine is starved for air which means the idle air control valve (IACV) is not opening to allow air to engine. ECU controls idle speed may opening/closing the IACV rapidly to achieve desired idle speed.

What is problem? It could be a dirty sticking IACV, intermittent electrical fault in IACV solenoid, or damaged IACV wiring or connector. I would suggest cleaning the throttle plate (front and back), throttle bore, removing and cleaning the IACV mechanical parts w/ throttle body cleaner. Check electrical function of the IACV solenoid valve movement w/ 12V direct application to connector. It should open w/ 12v and close when voltage removed.

Avoid throttle body cleaner on solenoid as the cleaner may damage solenoid windings.

good luck

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
pardon me if I don't seem to have all the details. So, the steering wheel locks at the same time the stall happens?

if so, could the ignition switch somehow be migrating back to "accessory" instead of "on"

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Didn't you say before you had an intake of some sort?

Stan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts