Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.0 Forrester S-Turbo. It's year 2000.

As I was comming down the road towards home it started behaving quite strangley and couldn't keep the revs up. Did not seem to want to rev. Shortly afterwards, about a further 100-meters up the road the whole thing kippered-out and I had to pull-over to the kerb. Now it won't restart at all. It's not very far from home which is good. I can get to the car in about 30-seconds. But can't really be bothered to push it from where it is now to right outside the house so have just left it where it stopped.

I tried connecting my OBD II reader into the port under the steering wheel but I only get '- - - -' on the screen and then 'Err' - so it does not want to let me read any fault codes.

Anybody seen anything like this before? Tried playing with the various connectors for the various sensors under the bonnet. Cranks-over ok but does not make any attempt to start. I guess there is a long way to diagnose this issue, but I'd like to know if anyone has any quicker answers before my hands start getting dirty.

Thanks in advance. :Banane35:

·
Registered
2000 Forester
76 Posts
I have a 2.0 forester S-Turbo. It's year 2000.

As I was comming down the road towards home it started behaving quite strangley and couldn't keep the revs up. Did not seem to want to rev. Shortly afterwards, about a further 100-meters up the road the whole thing kippered-out and I had to pull-over to the kerb. Now it won't restart at all. It's not very far from home which is good. I can get to the car in about 30-seconds. But can't really be bothered to push it from where it is now to right outside the house so have just left it where it stopped.

I tried connecting my OBD II reader into the port under the steering wheel but I only get '- - - -' on the screen and then 'Err' - so it does not want to let me read any fault codes.

Anybody seen anything like this before? Tried playing with the various connectors for the various sensors under the bonnet. Cranks-over ok but does not make any attempt to start. I guess there is a long way to diagnose this issue, but I'd like to know if anyone has any quicker answers before my hands start getting dirty.

Thanks in advance. :Banane35:
Sounds pretty bad. Maybe something's up with the ECU? It's not talking to your scanner which could be a symptom

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
Sounds pretty bad. Maybe something's up with the ECU? It's not talking to your scanner which could be a symptom
ECU should talk to the scanner even with no codes.
Use scanner on another vehicle to confirm it's working.
If it is then your ECU may have given up the ghost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are ECU's know for giving up occassionally on these cars? It's not something I'm used to dealing with as have always been one of the most reliable components on most other cars I've worked on.

I know the scanner works because I just bought it. I used it on a MINI and that came back with a vehicle speed signal error. I called in the man with the advanced diagnostics systems to see what he could find out and he came back with the same error code even though he was using a couple of different scanners which cost around £20k between them. So it's a basic scanner. But it does work.

So I guess, despite my ramblings... the question is, do we really think it's an ECU error? That would cost a lot to fix!

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Junkyard could be your best bet if thats your problem. But my question is why did the pcm fail? Bad ground? Short?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the fuel pump. The pump was failing slowly. Eventually it just kippered out completely. If you connected 12v to it the pump would spin and sounded like it was working. In fact it wasn't spinning fast enough. A pump which was working properly would have sounded different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts