Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this rattle that comes from the rear end. It's occurs when I hit uneven pavement. It sounds a little like a exhaust rattle,but I checked it seems solid. I checked endlinks and they seem tight. Any other sugestions on this crazy rattle. It's driving me crazy. Thanks Jeff

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
might wanna check the heat sheilds, sometimes a rock or something can get wedged into there and make quite an annoying noise, a friend of mine had problems with his so we yanked most of his heat shields off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jeff04FXT said:
I have this rattle that comes from the rear end. It's occurs when I hit uneven pavement. It sounds a little like a exhaust rattle,but I checked it seems solid. I checked endlinks and they seem tight. Any other sugestions on this crazy rattle. It's driving me crazy. Thanks Jeff
Sure it's outside the car? There are several rattles from the inside. The antenna amplifier in the "C" pillar gets loose and "buzzes".

-R.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Could be the striker on the hatch in the back.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rattle

I opened the hatch and drove around and still made the noise. Its coming from the drivers side in the rear. Crawled under the car today can't find anything. maybe something with suspension? Getting ready to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XP
12 Posts
Peaty said:
Could be the striker on the hatch in the back.
I am experiencing the same thing but can not find the culprit. I'm not familiar with this "striker on the hatch" and would really appreciate if you can tell the exact location. I have a MY99S and I'm noticing this vibration when I apply the brakes while backing up on my slightly downhill driveway. It feels like a certain part is swinging like pendulum. Like the original post, I have checked almost everything, including jack and reserve. Thanks a bunch!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I have a pain whenever I acc. from a stop my headshields rattle like crazy

Looks like I have a project to work on tommarow

anyone want to chime in on the most likly candidate?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
First, have someone sit in the rear of the car when you test this. vehicle acoustics, especially in wagons, can be tricky.

It *might* be a bad rear strut. Check the swaybar bushings and their mounts as well.

Also take EVERYTHING out of the rear of the car.

If you bought your forester used, i'd pop off the door panels and have a look around. I traced one rattle to a piece of laminated paper in the rear passenger door. it had "ARMOR ALL TIRES" written on it in big bold letters. I'm guessing it was stuck to a window and then fell into the door itself. (probably all that armor all - it makes everything slippery!)

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
gatchie said:
I am experiencing the same thing but can not find the culprit. I'm not familiar with this "striker on the hatch" and would really appreciate if you can tell the exact location. I have a MY99S and I'm noticing this vibration when I apply the brakes while backing up on my slightly downhill driveway. It feels like a certain part is swinging like pendulum. Like the original post, I have checked almost everything, including jack and reserve. Thanks a bunch!
The striker is the big metal U shaped piece which the rear hatch latches onto. It's in the center of the hatch opening, where the top of the bumper meets the body. There's also the latch assembly itself,.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Jeff04FXT said:
Also, did you try checking the rear license plate and license plate frame? Maybe sit in the trunk and have someone drive around?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jeff04FXT said:
I opened the hatch and drove around and still made the noise. Its coming from the drivers side in the rear. [...]
The antenna amplifier is on the driver's side in the rear. It's not in the "C" pillar as I previously posted. It's in the last pillar, next to the hatch. I guess that would be the "D" pillar.

-R.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Hey guys

I found my rattle

I basicly used a hammer and tapped on the exhaust pipe (behind cat.) gently

and was able to get the noise

Apparenly a rock (hm... wonder how that got there ;) ) was dancing inside one of the sheilds

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Jeff04FXT said:
I opened the hatch and drove around and still made the noise. Its coming from the drivers side in the rear. Crawled under the car today can't find anything. maybe something with suspension? Getting ready to take it to the dealer.
Is it a metal on metal sound? Roo and I had a rattle in our 99 S that we just couldn't locate. I wound up driving up and down the road we live on (bumpiest road in the county for sure) while Roo tore the rear of the car apart. Pulled off the door panels, unmounted the rear seat, pulled up the carpeting, until any possible interior noisemaker was accounted for. The rattle was still there... Turned out that it was a bad bushing on a suspension crossmember underneath the car!

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rattle

Thanks for all the responses. MY new theory is the OE subwoofer is loose. I'm bringing it to the Dealer because I don't have the time to Take all the panels apart. Hope doesn't complain because I'm not even using the subwoofer,I had a custom 8" box installed.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on rattle

I want back to the dealer. It took them all day to locate the problem. The left rear Strut was bad,he said they have never seen them go on FXT before. Just waiting for the parts to come in. Luckly the Service Manager was kool about the Warranty.Even with my Mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts