Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my front windows tinted on my 2010 Forester Premium and the place I had the work done said they could match to the factory rear color identical. They indicated to me they would use the LLumar tint product (Premium Grade). Cost was $174.00. I believe they used a 15% tint level.

Not too Good! The Fronts now appear darker than the factory Rear Privacy tinted windows and even worse is how it looks from the inside. The Blue UV hue thats is originally part of the factory front windows effected whatever hue the new tint material was and now when I look through the windows from the inside I can clearly see a huge difference and mismatch! The rears look "brownish in hue and much lighter while the fronts now look darker and a bit more "green" in hue.

Again, from the outside it is not AS noticeable but from the inside its horrible. From the outside you still can see the slight hue difference and slightly darker tint on the fronts but you need to look closely to see it. If you weren't looking for it you "might" miss the difference in a quick glance but this is still not good.

Does anyone know what product and what tint percentage CAN be used on the 2010 Forester Premium to get the fronts to match as closely as possible to the rear privacy glass?

I figure I'll have to just take the loss on the tint job I just had done and now remove the tinting but I hate to think its not possible to get the fronts tinted to match the factory rears. What can I do?

If anyone can help with this it would be most appreciated - thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,298 Posts
I recently had my front windows tinted on my 2010 Forester Premium and the place I had the work done said they could match to the factory rear color identical. They indicated to me they would use the LLumar tint product (Premium Grade). Cost was $174.00. I believe they used a 15% tint level.

Not too Good! The Fronts now appear darker than the factory Rear Privacy tinted windows and even worse is how it looks from the inside. The Blue UV hue thats is originally part of the factory front windows effected whatever hue the new tint material was and now when I look through the windows from the inside I can clearly see a huge difference and mismatch! The rears look "brownish in hue and much lighter while the fronts now look darker and a bit more "green" in hue.

Again, from the outside it is not AS noticeable but from the inside its horrible. From the outside you still can see the slight hue difference and slightly darker tint on the fronts but you need to look closely to see it. If you weren't looking for it you "might" miss the difference in a quick glance but this is still not good.

Does anyone know what product and what tint percentage CAN be used on the 2010 Forester Premium to get the fronts to match as closely as possible to the rear privacy glass?

I figure I'll have to just take the loss on the tint job I just had done and now remove the tinting but I hate to think its not possible to get the fronts tinted to match the factory rears. What can I do?

If anyone can help with this it would be most appreciated - thanks in advance!
Ohio laws specify that front windows cannot be tinted more than 50%, so obeying the law would be a good start. Nothing with a number smaller than 50%. You got totally ripped off for $174--I paid $140 to do all 5 rear windows on a non-tinted FX.

George

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
You might try a ceramic tint. Bottom ilne though, you can't match the front from both the inside and the outside.

Light coming in the windshield makes the front look lighter from the outside. To make it even from the outside you have to go darker, which makes it lop sided from the inside.

Sucks, but it's reality.

As for getting ripped off, depends on what kind of llumar tint was used. Crapped dyed tint can be had for the whole vehicle for $150 most places. Good tint that actually blocks heat and UV rays costs more. Good tint that does that and doesn't screw up your radio reception (ceramic) costs even more.

I know my tint guy (he's done 6 of my cars) and I got a great deal on mine. Ceramic all the way around for $200. Formula One

And for 50%... I wouldn't even bother. How stupid is that.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might try a ceramic tint. Bottom ilne though, you can't match the front from both the inside and the outside.

Light coming in the windshield makes the front look lighter from the outside. To make it even from the outside you have to go darker, which makes it lop sided from the inside.

Sucks, but it's reality.

As for getting ripped off, depends on what kind of llumar tint was used. Crapped dyed tint can be had for the whole vehicle for $150 most places. Good tint that actually blocks heat and UV rays costs more. Good tint that does that and doesn't screw up your radio reception (ceramic) costs even more.

I know my tint guy (he's done 6 of my cars) and I got a great deal on mine. Ceramic all the way around for $200. Formula One

And for 50%... I wouldn't even bother. How stupid is that.
OK...understood if I can't get the inside "look" to match regarding the tint LEVEL but what about at least getting the inside COLOR of the fronts to match the back? Does the UV Blue hue on the factory fronts make this color matching impossible?

Again, the rear factory tint is more brown from the inside. Also...I did use the Premium Grade LLumar product for these, not the cheaper dyed product but they are not ceramic based - my tint installer dealer did not offer this as an option.

Has anyone tinted their fronts to match the back and how well do they actually match from the inside and from the outside? What tint brand did you use and what level of tint?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,297 Posts
You could try 50% on the front windows, and 70% on the others.
You need film on the inside of all the windows to have any chance of looking the same from the inside

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Bummer. At least you can flip people off without pissing them off. :lildevil:

I jest. Seriously, I sympathize. But it should be a non-issue if the co. said they would match your tint.

If they don't fix it, there is always small claims court.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopeful Resolve

I stopped at a local Subaru dealer near my work and asked about the factory privacy tint on the rear windows and they were unable to give me an actual value on the tint level but did inform me that they offer tinting services direct from the dealer.

They said that their best success in matching the fronts to the rear privacy has been to use a 22% level tint but again stated as someone else has in this post that from the inside you never can get an identical match. From the outside they told me that the 22% level does have a slight variation to the lighter side in comparison to the rears but is almost unnoticeable and that they would recommend an 18% level that most installers ether carry or can get easily (the dealer I asked did not offer an 18% material). For me this is a move in the opposite direction with still no resolve to matching them as closely as possible unless somehow I can find a new installer that carries an 18% and try it and see how it looks.

That being said I was finally able to get my car back in to the original tint installer who informed that they could order a 20% (but not an 18%) in the premium brand material so I have scheduled for this appointment to see if this in fact will make make a better match.

I'll post again with the final results of the 20% LLumar material.

Thanks to everyone that's responded thus far in helping me get some answers on how to get this right.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...I returned to the place where I had the original tinting done only to be told that they no longer can get the 20% tint material when they tried to order it in and that the 15% was all they have available after all! Unreal!

They did finally pull out this fancy measuring device on my last visit that read the actual tint values on the factory windows. It registered approx. 14.72% on the rear passenger courtesy tints.

When reading the current tint they applied on the font windows it was reading 15.23%...pretty darn close as per the device but none-the-less the slight difference in actual tint that can be seen if you look closely enough is still a factor.

That being said it appears my dilemma is not going to be solved. The tint place offered to remove the tint and refund my money but I decided to just to leave it for now...if I come across a tint place that can actually CUSTOM tint the front windows to match identical to the rear passenger courtesy I will have it redone.

For those of you looking to match like I have, good luck...looks like window tinting isn't an actual science on the Subarus and nothing matches up just perfectly from factory tint...inside or out.

Best match so far on the Subaru Forester appears to be the standard 15% offered from most tint shops at least here in my area but again its not a perfect match but close!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
...Good tint that actually blocks heat and UV rays costs more...
The factory windows have a UV protection coating. Claiming tint blocks UV is marketing rubbish.

Ever notice how transition eyeglass lenses don't darken when you are driving with the windows up? They respond to extremely low UV levels, and they remain crystal clear when driving.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
We had out front windows tined and they match well from the outside. Looking out them from the inside they appear darker but nothing that looks bad. Check my journal in my sig for photos. 35% in KY for fronts, 20% for rears. As someone above statedm check local/state laws.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
16 Posts
I have a 2010 limited with the factory tint. I was just gonna do 35% all around and hope the factory tint left the rear a little darker than the 35% that is on the front. That or do 35% up front and 20% in the rear. You can almost always get away with having 35% tint even if the law is 50%. 35% all around you can see right in still.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
21 Posts
Pinnacle 35

I would let the shop know you're not satisfied. We did Formula One Pinnacle 35 and it matches the factory tint to our satisfaction. It's true that you will never match factory tinted glass with aftermarket tint film. For reference I've added some pics so you can see what we have... definitely matches closer from the inside than the outside.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts