Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Esquif Mistral 16 canoe. I have a ext. load warrior with the gunnel accessory for the top.

I also have the Yakima bow/stern tie down accessory. Yes, my FXT is the poster child for Yakima. :biggrin:

The front has 2 perfect spots to tie the bow. However, the rear does not have anything. I used the muffler hanger (the portion welded to the car NOT the muffler). Any ideas for a better spot in the rear?

Thanks

ps. Those in Calgary, avoid Undercurrents for your kayak/canoe needs. :evilatyou: Awful staff and very over priced.

I drove to Red Deer to get everything. Valhalla Pure in Red Deer. :rock:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Use the frame of the trailer hitch, works for me. Congrats on the nice canoe. Is that Twin-Tex stuff really that good (description I read it's as light as Kevlar and as tough as Royalex...)? Is the outer shell gel-coat or more like royalex? I have a wenonah sundowner on mine.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
no bow or stern tie downs

I don't even use bow and stern tie downs. I used to back in the day but this new rack system (thule w/ gunwale brkts) are the bomb! i DO HOWEVER HAVE A CABLE underneath the canoe which is locked tight for securing the boat to the car so homie don't steal it. Thing don't move...:banana:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Esquif Mistral

Use the frame of the trailer hitch, works for me. Congrats on the nice canoe. Is that Twin-Tex stuff really that good (description I read it's as light as Kevlar and as tough as Royalex...)? Is the outer shell gel-coat or more like royalex? I have a wenonah sundowner on mine.
It weights 10+ pounds less than royalex and is just as tough. No gel coat.
A shop uses them for river trips and they take a lot of abuse but do not show it (scratches on the bottom).

First ride this Saturday down the Bow river.:rock:

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Try using the vehicle recovery point as a tie down if you do not have a hitch. That should work even though its a bit off center.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
I don't even use bow and stern tie downs. I used to back in the day but this new rack system (thule w/ gunwale brkts) are the bomb! i DO HOWEVER HAVE A CABLE underneath the canoe which is locked tight for securing the boat to the car so homie don't steal it. Thing don't move...:banana:
Do you have Pictures? I tried using the Thule Fit My Car thing, but it says that they do not have any canoe accessories that fit the OEM rack. The Site says basically just go and put the canoe directly on the OEM rack.

·
Registered
183 Posts
goto www.thuleracks.com

and search for the :

579xt Canoe Carrier
Padded cradles offer maximum stability and a soft, comfortable resting place for your canoe. Made for Thule Square bars only.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
thule

I got rid of (in the basement) my OEM rack and load bars and then bought thule load bars and everything else to carry a canoe. If you keep the OEM rack you need to find some adaptor for your OEM bars to carry anything logically. I have gulwale brackets for the canoe which are excellent for keeping the boat from sliding left or right and sinch it down with the straps provided..cable underneath locked and secured. I just bought a length of lightweight cable and made the thing myself with these little metal crimp things and boom (shout out to maden) it's done! that way it can't possibly go forward or backward unless the whole rack and top of the car move, which is crazy if you ask me..:biggrin:
My canoe is an old town guide 14' 7" FYI
anything bigger or wider might not fit unless you get wider load bars..dig?
mine are 54" I think..
peace out~

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
I got rid of (in the basement) my OEM rack and load bars and then bought thule load bars and everything else to carry a canoe. If you keep the OEM rack you need to find some adaptor for your OEM bars to carry anything logically. I have gulwale brackets for the canoe which are excellent for keeping the boat from sliding left or right and sinch it down with the straps provided..cable underneath locked and secured. I just bought a length of lightweight cable and made the thing myself with these little metal crimp things and boom (shout out to maden) it's done! that way it can't possibly go forward or backward unless the whole rack and top of the car move, which is crazy if you ask me..:biggrin:
My canoe is an old town guide 14' 7" FYI
anything bigger or wider might not fit unless you get wider load bars..dig?
mine are 54" I think..
peace out~
I have heard great things about the Old Town Canoes. I still have yet to buy my own Canoe. Before it was not having the extra cash around. Now that I have been paid severance, I have extra money (at the moment), but am waiting until I get a new job.

I am not that keen on the OEM "Locking" cross bars. Do the Thule bars attach to the standard forester rails? Do you have pics of your setup?

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5x
14 Posts
ps. Those in Calgary, avoid Undercurrents for your kayak/canoe needs. Awful staff and very over priced.
You might consider Aquabatics in cow town as another option for boats and alike, I used to work for them. Good management, no commission=no pressure.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
I have heard great things about the Old Town Canoes. I still have yet to buy my own Canoe. Before it was not having the extra cash around. Now that I have been paid severance, I have extra money (at the moment), but am waiting until I get a new job.

I am not that keen on the OEM "Locking" cross bars. Do the Thule bars attach to the standard forester rails? Do you have pics of your setup?
Thule Clamps and Adapters at Rack Attack
Check out these clamps you may be able to add to your existing oem bars..

Old Town is nice! Heavy duty and you can pretty much throw those canoes around..:huh:
If you can't find any clamps that'll work with the gunwale brackets then you may need to ditch the oem set :icon_frown: up and go for the thule. I don't have any pic's yet but I'll see if I can take some.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
145 Posts
If you have a bow line, I wouldn't even worry about the stern.

I bought a Thule set-up for my '09 Forester and my concern is with the lack of spread between the two cross bars. I think they're barely two feet apart and I'm worried my 17' Bell Northwind will teeter-totter. I just installed a Curt hitch so I can use my bike rack and a light came on... I also have one of those upright T thingies I use in the receiver hitch of my pick-up when I haul canoes with it. That might be just the ticket for the Forester, too. And that would solve the stern tie-down point issue.

I'll post photos when I try it out.

Drive safe,
desmobob

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
Yeah!!

:biggrin:
This past weekend I figured out if I could put my canoe ON TOP of my load warrior. :crazy: Crazy?, Not really, I eyeballed it pretty close. We were just a 1/2 inch too wide so we took out the yolk! :crazy: She snapped right in and we were in business!!!
I'll take pictures later but for now just imagine them in your head. :icon_rolleyes:

Here's how I would load my canoe: Put the canoe on my shoulders utilizing the yolk to carry the canoe. Set the front of the canoe on the rear of basket, paying attention to how much room there is between the boat and the car body..remove the yolk with a phillips...take a break:Banane35:, then with a beer in either hand and your other hand under the rear or stern of your boat/canoe simply lift up and slide forward until the words on the canoe are centered on the load warrior. :woohoo: If the canoe does not sit flush on the bottom with the basket tubes:huh:, simply walk over to the side that is raised up and push on the canoe making it flex and set into the basket firmly. Secure the canoe to the roof basket and load bars..:biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts