Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we've moved to the north, we want to buy a canoe. Yay for us. Anyway, getting the thing from here to there requires a rack and those I've seen online cost almost as much as the canoe itself! Yikes! I haven't seen a canoe kit from Subaru, and Thule and Yakima want a ton o'money.

Any help on searching out a quality, yet affordable, rack? Anyone here have one that does a good job? I'm going to check out our local Gander Mountain this weekend if I get time; their website is useless unless you want recipes - go figure.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Gunwale foam blocks and 2 straps and save yourself the money

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you have your factory rails, these work perfectly; no additional equipment needed. I've use my canoe/kayak all the time with the stock rails and it works great, as if made for this task. If you need some ideas on how to strap it down let me know.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
^^ FYI there's an edit button just to the left of "quote" on your posts, thus, allowing you to edit

Dan, if you need any idea's, or need a canoe group, throw me a pm

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,931 Posts
I also got a canoe last summer but the thing weighs far too much for us to hoist it onto the roof racks. I plan to find a used trailer and tow it to the reservoir....

Of course, I'll have to buy a tow hook for the Forester and will probably buy the OEM one since I like my car to look stock. Will NOT be hauling anything heavier that the canoe.

Steve

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
One of the best points about the forester is considering it sits lower to the ground than a jeep, loading/unloading whether it be a roof mounted bike rack, canoe, or kayak, the unloading/loading process is a heck of a lot easier..

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,931 Posts
Hmmmm......interesting point, Senior.

Can you or someone else clearly explain how one should carry a canoe on the exisiting cross bars without denting or scraping the roof panel??

We presently carry the canoe on the CRV's roof but my wife really has trouble lifting the canoe up and off/on the roof.

Our canoe is a plastic one that weighs about 70 pounds...........not very light so I want to be sure that the roof bars can take the weight without bending.

Any pictures of someone's canoe on the roof with the gunwhale blocks in place??

Thanks,

Steve

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Steve - the roof rails are rated to hold about 110lbs, if memory serves. They may flex a tiny bit, but it shouldn't be too bad, especially if you offset the canoe to one side or the other.

I'm surprised the canoe is that heavy - my folks have an old grumman aluminum one and I can't imagine it's more than 40lbs (unless I'm secretly a lot more buff than I think I am)

I don't think the trailer is a horrible idea, perhaps you could use some sort of roller to help loading/unloading it on the roof.

Something like this: http://store.yahoo.com/orsracksdirect/maine-roll-on-kayak-canoe-loader.html Other brands make similar parts, thule included - i'm sure something exists that will bolt up onto the factory rack.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I might be able to scavange a picture, but @ 70 pounds the cross bars will have no trouble at all

I use gunwale blocks x4 place them where I "think" they should be, but usually it ends up that I move them around to the proper place after the canoe gets up.

You could also try clipping the gunwale blocks direcly to the rack, if they would fit, that is

Royalex canoes and Polyethylene canoes are pretty heavy.. I have a Polyethylene canoe but I'm still young and at *17 I dont have alot of problems lifting it on the car with a friend

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,931 Posts
Man, you are young......

I don't have any trouble lifting my end of the canoe but my wife just doesn't have the upper body strength to do it easily. The LAST thing I want to see is her half of the canoe dropping onto the roof sheet metal. Now THAT would make a canoe trip rather strained......

Thanks for the suggestions....our canoe is an Old City and is nice in every way except the weight...........for beginners, however, it's nice.

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts