Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using our Malone 50" cross bars and SportRack kayak J stacker carrier, we are able to get a canoe and kayak on top of our 2009 Forester:

A bit wider bars would make it better but this works fine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice! Im thinking of getting a kayak again. It would suite the foz nicely...
What kind of tires are those and do you like them?
Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Nice Will, the boats look great up there. How was the new canoe?
I'm planning to make a set of paddles for ours, woodworking 101 etc..

hmm, interesting, those pics make me think a playboat would fit along with our canoe.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, a cheap ($200) Canadian Tire special. My son says its faster but not as stable as the ones he used at Shumway Lake.

And the new canoe is incredible! very easy to paddle, holds all 4 of us, and can handle a bit of a chop with ease.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Im thinking of getting a kayak again. It would suite the foz nicely...
What kind of tires are those and do you like them?
Thanks
General Grabber AT2 is the tire. They are OK, but noisy and don't help with gas consumption, that's for sure!

This is them:

·
Registered
09 FXT on e85 AT
476 Posts
If I leave the yakima load warrior on and have the mako saddle on top, wouldnt it be too high with a kayak on top? I have a surf ski (21 ft ocean racing kayak) set go on the foz next month. :)

·
Registered
09 FXT on e85 AT
476 Posts
Btw, what skid plate do you have on? Tie downs? How's it treating the paint during transit? Anchor points?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Btw, what skid plate do you have on? Tie downs? How's it treating the paint during transit? Anchor points?
To your questions:

The skid plate info is here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/modified-primitive-skidplate-ok-subaru-72586/ and here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/primitive-plate-41799/. There are a few posts about the Primitive plate, try a search for more info.

Tie downs: front is easy as they are loops under the bumper; for the rear I use the bracket that is attached to the body that also has the exhaust hangers from it, one each side. I would not recommend attaching to the hangers as you could risk pulling them off if something goes bad. I just use regular cam buckle types.

For the main tie downs on the rack, I use a wide one, with padded buckles so the canoe is not marked. Very nice. Got them when we bought the canoe.

For the kayak, I just use the tie downs that came with the J stacker. Our play kayak is too short to require bow and stern ties.

So far, no issues on the paint but I may add some protection for the front tie downs as they do curve over the bumper. The rears angle back and are no issue.

·
Registered
09 FXT on e85 AT
476 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info.

I also have a primitive skid plate, collecting dust in the shop where I left it. Issue I had with it was the heat that builds up. Also about it not covering the whole bottom and making the tmic less effective. I'll see what subie outlaw did to modify it to make it work better.

For the front, you may try these http://www.rutabaga.com/product.asp?pid=1001675 I have them bookmarked, getting them on my next online purchase.

Yeah, padded buckles are a must. Also protects paint if ever buckle falls.

I have to find a way how to tie the front and rear of my surf ski. Its 21 ft, maybe I can just latch on the boat cover during transit.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
136 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts