Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 forester. I replaced the exterior door handle on the driver's side. The door is exactly like the one in the video:

No problem getting it off and replacing the door handle. I am struggling to get the door panel back on. It seems simple enough but I spent 2 hours and no luck. So frustrating.

I can't get anything lined up without the interior door handle slipping out of it slot. It just seems like I am missing something. Hard to describe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
709 Posts
last time i took mine out, i believe the interior door handle is mounted separately from the door trim. Just bolt the screw for the door handle to the door frame and have the lever in the open position when your placing the interior door trim back on. The trim "rests" on top of the door frame than swings down to lock the push clips.
Some times a good slap helps getting the trim back into the proper place.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
932 Posts
I've taped the metal rods to the door plastic before to keep them in place. You can also tie some strint to the handle, then pass it through the door card to keep it in place. Its a pain, but there is a knack to it.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I eventually got it to fit. I had to leave the interior handle's screw in place before putting the panel back on. It causes the panel to stick out a bit and not fit perfectly over the handle but I could see no possible way to put it back on without the handle slipping out of place. I know on some models that screw does not go through the door panel, but on mine it does.

Key was to line it up from the top along the window opening first. After a lot of fiddling I felt it fall into place along the top and then it was easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts